Friday, April 28, 2017

April 28, 2017 Work, Work, Work

One of Thursday's deer.
Our first alpine
shooting star.














Wednesday 4/26. Very windy all day, so I worked on the refrigerator, cleaning it and refilling the cans with snow from the little bit that is left on the north side of the house.  I also put everything in the freezer down into the fridge.  Once I was done, the temperature fell from 31 back down to 23.

JB baked blueberry scones today.  Soooo good!

It was a fairly nice afternoon sun wise, but the wind was gusting up to 18 mph.  Our high for the day was 50 (not counting the wind chill).

Thursday 4/27. It was a chilly 32 and clear this morning, but the wind was still blowing.  Gusting to 14 mph.

We got outside before 10:00 am to work on taking out about 40 feet of fence on the south ridge.  There were four rows of barbed wire to be rolled up and seven fence posts to be taken out.  Got that done before noon.  Then after lunch, with the tractor JB pulled out several dead bushes that were on top of the ridge, while I drove Miss Kitty up and took three large loads of huge, old branches that were just over the other side of the ridge down to the wood cradle.  I have wanted to do this for a few years now, but it has to be done before the rattle snakes get active.  Still more wood to haul, but we have time.  It feels so good to be doing this work again!

Several of the big ponderosa pine trees are dropping a lot of large pine cones now.  Some years they don't drop any, or if they do, the cones are small.  So many great crafting projects to do with all those cones. . .

Before our afternoon walk I was sitting on the porch when I saw four deer walking across the east slope up to the south ride.  First time we have seen them since last Fall.  Dinga was on the porch with me but is just too blind to have seen them, so I got a few good pictures.  About ten minutes later when both dogs and I were on the ridge for our walk, Jesse got a whiff of the deer and was off into the canyon.  A whiff was all he got though, as they were gone by then.

With the warm sun and cool wind, it was a perfect day for working outside.  I ended up taking off my vest and hoodie, and working in just T-shirt and jeans.  Our high for the day was 52.

Friday 4/28. It is 34 and mostly clear this morning and that wind is still blowing.  I plan to drive Miss Kitty down to get the mail today.

Thought for the day: To be good, and to do good, is the whole duty of man comprised in a few words.  Abigail Adams, second First Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment