Friday, June 10, 2011

Then: The 4th Week of June 2008 Now: June 10, 2011

Then: The 4th Week of June 2008

On my way back from town on Thursday, I smell something burning as I am opening the gate.  It looks like there is smoke coming out from under the hood of my Jeep!  I quickly drive up to Larry & Elsie's, park and open the hood. Sure enough, my engine is on fire!  I run around looking for some water; find the dogs dish and throw the water on the fire, which puts it out.  OK, there is no cell service here.  My cousin is due up tomorrow for the weekend.  And I'm sure I need a tow.  So I walk down to the next house, and fortunately they are home. They let me use their land line to call a tow truck, and I schedule it for tomorrow, then they give me a ride back up to the gate.  I settle in on Larry & Elsie's lawn, and when they arrive home shortly thereafter, Larry takes one look at my Jeep, starts laughing and says, "You have a nest in your engine that caught on fire!"  Real funny, Larry.


He gives me a ride up to my camp on his ATV, for which I am very grateful.  Actually he and Elsie have been coming up to check on me a once or twice a week since I've been here.  I am getting to know our very knowledgeable and generous neighbors quite well.


I call the insurance company, Jeep dealer and car rental agency, setting up everything for the next day.  Fortunately this is all covered under comprehensive in our car insurance. Yippee! 


I walk down the next day (3 miles) to meet the tow truck at the gate, and my cousin, Ann, arrived about the same time.  My Jeep is towed to the dealer, and we head on up to my camp in her car.  Ann is ecstatic to be able to pack her gun and get in some target practice.  Just as she was going in to test the outhouse, I saw something wiggling through the grass.  Yelling, "Fire in the hole", I shoot that rattlesnake right in the mouse.  She comes running out, pulling up her pants, saying, "I thought you were just joking 'cause I was in the outhouse!"  No, I did not misspell "mouse," as the snake had obviously just eaten one and that's where I shot it.


It's the first time I'd ever shot anything, even a snake.  After the adrenalin subsides, I cut off the rattles and head.  I give Ann the rattles and toss the snake, sans head, over the ridge.  The head went into the outhouse hole.  One of these days I will learn to skin a snake, and maybe even cook one.


Ann drops me off at the car rental office on her way out of town on Monday after a great weekend.  I choose an SUV and warn them it will be really dirty when I return it.  Hopefully it won't get scratched.

Now: June 10, 2011

When I finally got my Jeep back several weeks later, I had decided not to get the hood repainted.  The burnt circle will be a constant reminder for me to check under the hood every time before I start the engine.  At least I didn't have to pay for that $4000 nest!  Driving a new Toyota SUV was kind of fun, but it just isn't a Jeep.

So what is with all this @#!!?%$ RAIN??!!  Because of the rain on Wednesday, even though it was a nice day yesterday, all the dirt was one big muddy mucky MESS.  We couldn't work on the deck in the morning.  Had to wait til the sun dried it out a bit.  So I spent the morning doing what I hate most - dusting.  Did I mention the dust Up Here?!  It's everywhere, all the time.  There is simply no keeping up with it unless I would vacuum and dust every day, and that just isn't going to happen.  Dust bunnies Up Here are just another pet.  We do vacuum about once a week and use our non-electric floor sweeper very day or two, but I hate dusting.  I did it yesterday in anticipation of our Summer guests.  (Which is a clue as to how often I dust. . .)  After all, this is a cabin in the woods, not a house Down There.

We worked on the deck in the afternoon and got two joists put up.  The water in the pole holes has caused them to shift a little, but the joists will pull everything back into place.  Hopefully we can get more done today.  It is supposed to rain for the next few days, but right now it's looking good.

Larry and Elsie came up to visit last night and brought us fresh eggs from their chickens.  These are not just any chickens, they are pampered pets.  I'm pretty sure they eat better than we do as Elsie gives them greens from her garden, apples, bananas, watermelon, cabbage - well, you get the idea.  So, their eggs are the best tasting ever.

One thing I didn't mention about our dogs yesterday is their concept of the front door.  If they both want to go out at the same time, you have to get a good grip on the door handle as, to them, it isn't simply a door but a starting gate.  If you're not holding on tight, the door will whip right out of your hand.  But we love them, and they love it Up Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment