Friday, May 24, 2013

May 24, 2013 Aging, or Not



Snow on the lupine


Wednesday, 5/22. At breakfast, as the snow came thundering off the roof, I realized that we must have received a good inch or more.  It is a very wet snow and not easy to tell just by looking.  After eating we dressed in our winter gear, most of which was back in the closet, and went up to clean off the panels.  By the look of the snow on them, we probably got more than an inch.  Since they are now tilted all the way up, we needed to use a ladder to brush them off.  JB held the ladder while I did the honors.

We received some sort of precipitation all day long beginning with snow and fluctuating back and forth to rain.  During the breaks, the fog moved in.  A good day for lots of mental exercise, sudoku and crossword puzzles.  Doesn't burn a lot of calories but maybe it will build a little brain muscle.  It was way too sloppy to go for our afternoon walk, and our high for the day was a whopping 32.

It is fascinating to watch the flowers pop back up after the weight of the heavy snow melts from them.  The small arnica recovers much more quickly than the larger balsam root.

The longer I am here on earth, the more I tend to distance myself from my body as a reflection of who I am.  Even though my body insists that I am growing older, I am still not convinced.  But then most of my life my looks have not necessarily reflected my personality.  (Example:  You certainly don't look like someone who would have one tattoo, let alone several! -or- You did what?!!)  Perhaps I have too much of my Mother's prim and proper looks.  I am usually proper, but rarely prim.

I talked to our son for more than an hour while he drove home from the airport and made some plans for our trip.  He said it had been 90 in Baltimore the past few days.  Ewww!

We watched "Bandits" with Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton this evening.  Very entertaining!

Thursday, 5/23.  Woke up to fog and 27 with lots of snow still on the ground.  It rained most of the morning, but the sun managed to peek out for a few minutes around noon.  Since we had to use the generator for water anyway, I did another load of wash.

More mental exercising today and preparation for our trip.

The rain stopped in the early afternoon, so by 3:30 it was dry enough to go on our walk and not slog through mud.  By then it had warmed up to 40 and that was our high for the day.  After being couped up for a couple days, the dogs and I went for another walk after dinner.  We listened to the birds loudly celebrating the passing of the storm, and hopefully the final end to winter.

Friday, 5/24.  It is 32 and overcast this morning, but the forecast is for a dry and sunny weekend.

Thought for the day:  Once government becomes the supplier of people's needs, there is no limit to the needs that will be claimed as a basic right.  Lawrence Auster 

No comments:

Post a Comment