Saturday, June 9, 2012

June 9, 2012


Another bear at Larry & Elsie's pond.

 
 
Humming bird that
flew into Claudia's porch.











Our Sunset on June 4.
The weather finally cleared up for Tuesday and Wednesday, but the rain was back on Thursday and we have water under the house again.  May have to pump it out today.  My drive down our road Tuesday morning was dicey.  I'd turn left and go right.  Turn right and go left.  But I made it okay and by the time I drove home the road was fairly dry.  It was worth the trip though, as I finally found some good work boots.  The Coastal store in East Wenatchee just got women's work boots in and, since it was Tuesday, I saved 10%!  So nice to have comfortable boots.

Gross out alert, Sande - while I was gone, Jesse found a rabbit's head.  We don't think he killed the rabbit.  More likely he found left overs from the bobcat's kill.  But JB thinks he ate the whole head, ears and all.  I'm not sure he did because there he hasn't had the usual intestinal problems after something like that.

The wild roses are blooming as far up as Larry and Elsie's and are so beautiful.  There are buds on our bushes, so they should be blooming Up Here soon too.  My friend, Gayle, and her daughter are coming up next Friday to visit so they will be able to see lots of wild flowers.  Just hope the rain has let up by then.

All the onions have sprouted in our garden and several of the Yukon and red potato plants have pushed leaves up through the dirt!  I check on them at least twice a day.  As I've said before, never thought I could get this excited about a vegetable garden.

Wednesday I cut and stacked three loads of branch wood.  JB finished my small shelf for the bathroom.  I will probably paint it today, then he can put it up on Sunday.  With all the rain and fog on Thursday, I got caught up on my computer projects: updated the DVD and pantry lists, and finally got caught up on the photo and subject indices to my blog.  When we moved Up Her, I created a spread sheet on which to keep track of our supplies.  Every time we take something out of the pantry or add to it, we adjust the quantity on the sheet in pencil.  Every 4 months or so I have to print out a new list for us to use.  JB has been engrossed in a Jason Bourne book, which he finally finished on Friday.

Thursday was Sandy's birthday (she is older than I am), and when I called her to sing "Happy Birthday" I got her message:  "You've reached the Birthday Girl.  I'm out celebrating.  If you haven't sent money or a gift, you better get right on it."  I was laughing so hard I couldn't sing, fortunately for her.

RJ is up at his cabin and came to have breakfast with us on Friday.  He'll be up again on Sunday, then Monday we'll go down to his place to see all the current projects he has finished.  His little root cellar seems to be doing great, so we thought we might have the crew that comes up to sculpt the land for our drainage problem dig a 6X6X6 hole for our root cellar.  Will depend on how much time they have.

Friday we started digging for the main electrical conduit that goes from the battery shed to the house.  Finally found it, and it will definitely have to be extended as it doesn't go deep enough into the ground for where they are going to dig - which is between the battery shed and the house.  We also have to find two other electrical lines and the propane line.  JB can redo the two electrical lines he put to the house, but we will probably have to get the electrician up here for the main one, and someone from the propane company to do that line.  We did find a broken conduit in the main electrical line, which is a really good thing.  I'd hate to have had a problem in the middle of winter with that.  But we've found it now and can get it fixed.  And, fortunately, we weren't out digging during our 15 minute hail storm!  We tried to get it done between showers.  This was the first time I have had to bring the wash in before it was dry due to rain.  It started out as a nice, sunny day.

Just heard that we have a wind advisory for this afternoon: 20-30 mph sustained winds with gusts 45-50 mph.  Oh goodie. . .

Thought for the day:  A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.  Dwight D. Eisenhower.

No comments:

Post a Comment