Monday, October 8, 2012

Oct 8, 2012 Warmer, Smokier Days



Smoke plumes to the SW on 10/1


Friday and Saturday were smokeless with blue skies and clear views, but a bit of an inversion moved in yesterday and most of the hills have disappeared into the haze of smoke.  Wasn't bad enough to wear a mask as the valleys and canyons had the worst of it.

We brought up the last two loads of wood on Friday - all 78 rounds-, and thank goodness that chore is over!  I split three loads and then took a nap.  I love naps.  I only have one maybe once a week, but I certainly do enjoy them and the ability to take one any time I want to.

On Saturday JB returned the trailer to Larry and, since he was so far down the mountain, went into town to get gas in his Jeep and run a few errands.  I think he forgot it was Saturday as many of the businesses are closed over the weekend. . .

I split another five loads of wood which seems to be the maximum amount for me without straining anything or getting too tired.  I also gathered several bags of pine needles for winter fire starter.  I won't use them until after the snow has fallen.  I just fill my basket from the ground until then.

RJ is back Up Here so we invited him to breakfast Sunday morning and JB fixed German pancakes.  So good with my canned peaches and brown sugar.  After he left, I drove down to Elsie's Spa for a shower (felt sooo good and I really steamed up her bathroom), and stopped by RJ's on the way to see what he is working on.  He wants to get the front of his cabin all enclosed before winter.  He, Mike and some friends will be up at the end of the month for his birthday on the 28th.

I split another five loads of wood after lunch and called it quits for the day.  Didn't want to get too sweaty and dirty after my shower.  It was a bit warmer yesterday, and this morning we didn't need a fire in the wood stove.

Must be getting into hibernation mode as I find it harder and harder to drag myself out of bed by 8:00 am.  When we first moved Up Here, I was getting up at 7:00 am or earlier.  I remember blogging at 5:00 and 6:00 am when I let the dogs out.  Hmmm.

Thought for the day:  If God had been a liberal, we wouldn't have the Ten Commandments - we'd have the Ten Suggestions.  Malcom Bradbury

No comments:

Post a Comment