Monday, March 17, 2014

March 17, 2014 Now I Know What to Call It

The re-appearing ground

Friday 3/14. It had been breezy most of the night and continued on into the day, but gusting, not steady, blowing clouds across the sky.  Rain is in the forecast for this afternoon and when JB left for Down There at 9:30 am, I could see it already moving in from the west.  

Some days I am simply unable to figure out medium sudoku puzzles!  Other days they are almost too easy.  On the days I cannot, I wonder what else I should not be doing. . .

I washed the dishes and did the laundry.  Then puttered around cleaning up here and there.  Defrosted the refrigerator and even dusted.  Read my book.  Forced myself to solve some sudoku, the trick being to really focus.

By 10:30 am the wind had really picked up force and the rain had arrived.  Fortunately by then JB was in my Jeep and on his way to town.  However, this proved to be just a little cell that the wind quickly blew on its way.  And suddenly the grey sky was blue again, so after lunch I took full advantage of it and vacuumed.

Despite a mostly sunny day, our high temperature was only 36, with a wind chill factor making it at least a few degrees cooler.  But the snow and ice continued melting, laying bare more dirt and grass.  It always amazes me that the grass is so green underneath the snow.  More birds and bugs were enticed to be out and about.

I watched a deer mosey down the east slope.  The dogs saw it too, but I wouldn't let them out to chase it.

JB arrived home at 3:30 pm, swearing that this was the last time he was taking MAX down the road this winter.  We got everything unloaded and put away, then relaxed with magazines and mail.  No pizza for dinner tonight without our oven working, so we just had leftovers.

Saturday 3/15.  It was 26 and overcast this morning.  Instead of JB's Mom calling like she does every Saturday, it was his sister-in-law who called to tell us that his Mom went to the hospital Thursday night.  The doctors are not yet sure what is causing her to be so dizzy, nauseous and short of breath.  So he is going to Seattle tomorrow to help out.

JB spent the day getting ready to leave for a week and we did chores that needed to be done.  When we went outside, we found deer prints near the house on both sides.  The dogs must have been asleep when they were there.

Jesse won the prize for first tick of the year.  Now I check both of them several times a day.

Sandy sent me an article from her newspaper about shinrin-yoku which is Japanese "forest bathing."  "The practice encourages a deep connection with nature by taking leisurely walks in the forest and "bathing" in the experience: feeling the sunshine or breeze, listening to the insects, birds and wildlife, exploring the darkest shadows, feeling the trees, plants and stones encountered along the way, and always having gratitude for the experience. . . He points to numerous medical studies suggesting the positive effects of shrinrin-yoku: reduced stress, blood pressure and blood cortisol levels, improved vigor, increases in count of natural killer cells that combat disease."  So, as Sandy said, now I know what to call it.  However, it is interesting that people nowadays have to organize to go for a walk and enjoy nature.  When I was growing up, it was a given.  Get outside.  Enjoy nature.  You will feel better for it.  I guess people really have lost touch with nature and that is very sad.

JB's brother called just before dinner to say that the doctors had discovered that his Mom had a bacterial infection.  They filled her full of meds and he was able to bring her home.  JB will still go for a week so he can be at home with her while everyone else is at work.

Sunday 3/16.  The day began with 34 degrees and a light, partial overcast.  JB realized that he really could not chance taking his Jeep down our road yet, so he left at 9:00 am on MAX and drove my Jeep. He had a good but wet trip over as it started raining this side of the pass and continued the rest of the way.

I got to work on the loft, taking my summer clothes out of the trunk up there and putting them in a trunk downstairs, replacing them with blankets.  After lunch I went outside to get the wood in and just walk around a bit.  Then I started up Miss Kitty and drove her around the back of the house and up to the south ridge.  The road was still too mushy, so I cut over to the field and drove her up to the peak.  Then back down around the front of the house and parked her.  It is going to be so nice to finally be able to explore all the roads around here.  We just hadn't wanted to use our Jeeps to do that because of their age.

It was rather a dreary day.  Barely saw the sun.  At least the rain went to the north and south of us until about 6:30 pm, and then it just lasted for about an hour.  Our high for the day was 39.

Monday 3/17.  It is 24 and clear with a wind this morning.  Got a slow start this morning as I never sleep well the first night JB is gone.

Thought for the day: You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. Dr. Seuss


No comments:

Post a Comment