Monday, September 14, 2015

September 14, 2015 Heat & Bugs

Our project for the weekend, and. . .
. . . our supervisors.















Friday 9/11. I cooked the rose hip-orange marmalade and ended up with 13 little jars.  Then put in the laundry and washed the dishes while happily listening to the jar lids pop and seal.

JB was prepping the garden fence, taking out poles, etc., so we could move it around the two raised beds.  After lunch, I finished weeding the beds.  JB brought several more loads of dirt for the large bed and I raked it level.  He drove the tractor.  I did the heavy labor.  Didn't think I would be wearing my boonie hat or UV protectorant shirt any more, but there I was with both of them on and dripping sweat.

I have been as busy this week as Elsie normally is.  I doubt I will ever be as slender as she is, but I'm pretty sure I lost a pound or two, despite the potato salad and pie.

Our high for the day was 80 and it definitely felt like it.  There were bugs everywhere, as if they knew this was the last of Summer's heat and were going to make the most of it.

Saturday 9/12. It was 66 and clear this morning.  We couldn't smell the smoke but there was a light haze on the horizons.

The two frogs under the house continue to serenade us daily, with both solos and duets.  Very entertaining.

This morning we moved five of the eight poles for the fence, and then it was just too hot to do any more.  And, once again, the bugs were everywhere.

We drove Missy Kitty down to our rope gate to cut limbs that were hiding our "No Trespassing" sign.  I walked half way back up, filling the back of Miss Kitty with branch wood.  Also stopped to pick some big, beautiful rose hips that I just couldn't ignore.  I ended up with a pound that I washed, vacuum sealed and put in the freezer.

The wasps were swarming today and we already have a few in the loft.  I simply do not know where they are getting in.  Our high for the day was 82, which brought them out.

After dinner I stacked the wood we brought up in Miss Kitty, taking a few large branches to the pile that needs cutting.   There was very little air movement today until a breeze picked up after sunset.

Sunday 9/13. It was 60 and mostly cloudy this morning with a light wind.  So glad I did not put the flannel sheets on last weekend, as the nights have been unpleasantly warm.

Right after JB ate breakfast, we were out to finish putting in the last of the poles and the fence up around the raised beds.  One more project we can cross of the list.  It is not so much to keep out the deer and rabbits as it is to keep Dinga out.  She will eat the compost and chicken manure we put on the garden!

Washed the dishes and did more laundry.  Then we vacuumed out my Jeep and washed the inside.  I wrapped Christmas and other gifts that I will be taking with me.  And started getting items other than clothes ready for the trip.

Tomorrow morning we will take my Jeep Down There for an oil change and do a big grocery shopping.  We also plan to stop at Larry and Elsie's on the way down to see what spray he is using for the bugs, and check out his root cellar that is almost finished.

Monday 9/14. It is 44 and overcast this morning.  I put a fire in the stove when I let the dogs out at 6:30 am.  The forecast is for cold and rainy weather this week.

Thought for the day: There is nothing scarier than the split second where you lose your balance in the shower and think, "Oh gawd, they're going to find me naked!"

No comments:

Post a Comment