Monday, June 24, 2019

June 24, 2019 Windy, Busy & Three Trips Down There

The tipi, & bird bath with
yarrow growing by ti.
A flycatcher with one of their
babies sitting on the wood
shed gate.
Bull elk on our other game cam
in May.















Monday 6/17. We had planned to cut down the two dead trees today, but just could not get the chain saw started.  JB is going to have to check the spark plug, etc.  So I just split some more wood and JB used the weed eater.  I really wanted to buy a gas, self-propelled lawn mower this year, but we just have too many other items that are more important.

I printed the invitations to our family Fourth of July picnic Up Here.  We always look forward to this family celebration, as it is often the only time during the year that we get to see many of them.

There seems to be a bumper crop of chipmunks in the canyon this year.  Lots of them at Rose Camp, and each time we drive down the road we see or have to brake for them.

Tuesday 6/18. I had plans to visit Mrs. Gridder this afternoon, so it was a very busy morning.  Washed the dishes, split some wood and hung out the laundry before I took a shower.  Was on my way in Miss Kitty by 12:15 pm and had a nice long visit with her, hearing all about their trip and seeing all the pictures.  On my way back up the mountain, I stopped by Larry and Elsie’s to meet their new dog.  It is a mix of some sort and looks like a long-haired wiener dog with the face of a meerkat!  Adorable!  They adopted it from a family member who could no longer take care of her. 

Wednesday 6/19. Was on my way Down There this morning bright and early, as I wanted to get the errands run and my grocery shopping done before my 1:00 pm appointment at orthopaedics.  I actually had time to stop by the new Veteran’s Warehouse thrift shop.  They are going to have a grand opening celebration Thursday, Friday & Saturday with half off everything!  Definitely want to go one of those days.

I had a very good experience at orthopaedics.  The x-rays proved the PA’s diagnosis that the ache and tingling I am feeling is not because of anything in my shoulder, but rather arthritis in my neck.  In looking at the x-rays, he was surprised that my symptoms were so mild.  He wants me to go to physical therapy were they will do a little stretching of my neck and can even send an  apparatus home with me so I don’t have to drive to town.  Also, I am going to try using two pillows to see if that makes it easier to get comfortable in bed. 

It was very windy in town, as the weather forecast had predicted, and windy up on the mountain also.

Thursday 6/20.  It was a chilly 38 this morning, on this last day of Spring, and it looks as though summer weather may not arrive again for another week or so.  Very windy again today.

Another day of splitting wood while JB used the weed eater.  Then we both loaded the wood from Tuesday and today into Miss Kitty in three large loads, and drove it over to the wood shed where I stacked it.

We have decided to take a day off tomorrow.  We will drive Down There for breakfast, then go to the thrift store, also Costco for another pillow and the tractor place to seriously check out the snow thrower and possible other options.

Friday 6/21. We tried a new restaurant this morning that is only open for breakfast and lunch – Smitty’s.  Great food and great prices!  This will definitely be our go-to place for breakfast from now on.  And if you get there before 9:00 am, the prices are practically give-away!

The thrift store had opened its basement for the Grand Opening.  Wow!  It is like the best garage sale ever!  We only had about an hour to spend there, but I really want to come back tomorrow.  We came out of there with a box of books and several other items, including a gun rack for $2.50!

We spent almost another hour at the tractor place and decided against the snow thrower, as JB would have to drive backwards for almost four miles.  So the owner is going to make a plow that will attach to the bucket arms.  This will allow JB to get closer to the edge of the road with the plow and much higher up, which will make it much easier to push the snow completely off the road.  It will cost about the same as the snow thrower, but we both feel much better about this option.

Saturday 6/22. After dishes and laundry, I was on my way Down There to go to the thrift store again.  Stopped in to see if Mrs. Gridder wanted to come with me, but she had a wedding to go to.

Just took my time at the thrift store and had a ball!  Found a Black & Decker Automatic Jar Opener that looked as though it had never been out of the box - $3.50.  The basement is full of boxes that have not yet been looked through!  What fun!  I ended up with another box of books, a set of margarita glasses, Christmas mugs, fabric, etc., etc.

I was home by 3:30 pm, and after dinner I planted the four plants I had purchased on Wednesday.  A few more and my yard will be done.

Sunday 6/23. Another windy day, as it has been since Wednesday.  We are supposed to have a cool, wet week. 

It was another day of splitting wood, weed eating, moving and stacking wood.  That is pretty much our song when there is no snow on the ground.

We tried the Automatic Jar Opener today.  It is electric, but only takes about five seconds to do the job.  Amazing!

Our son is going to visit for a week this summer.  He will fly into Wenatchee the evening of July 14 and I will drive him back to SeaTac on Saturday, July 20.  Just like last year, when I drop him off at the airport, I will continue on to my Aunt Nene’s for a visit.  I plan to be home on Tuesday, 7/23.

Our son always wants to do projects for us, so we are going to have him cut all the stumps that are left from taking down trees.  Most of them are 2-12 to 3 feet high.  That will give us a lot more wood.  Will probably also have him use the wood cradle to cut all the branches we have left from last year.  Would love to get the west wall of the loft finished, but not sure we will have time for that.

Thought for the week: And into the forest I go to lose my mind and find my soul.  (Seen on a sweatshirt)

No comments:

Post a Comment