Monday, May 19, 2014

May 19, 2014 My Sixth Anniversery Living Up Here

My Mother's Day gift from
Larry & Elsie

Bear grass on the south ridge




















Friday 5/16.  We have a pair of wrens building a nest under the eaves above the bathroom window.  I certainly hope it works for them, as last time it was attempted, the whole thing fell to the ground.  I don't understand why they won't use the bird house.

The walking stick I use from May through September is also my "snake" stick.   It has metal "wings" on the bottom and one of our nephews told us it was a weeding stick.  Well, that may be what west-side flatlanders use it for, but we mountain folk on the east side of the mountains use it to protect against and kill rattlesnakes.

On our morning walk I saw a pair of western tanagers flying about the north ridge.  They are so pretty in their yellow, orange and black coats.

It was off to work at 11:30 this morning.  Another enjoyable afternoon with Elsie in her shop.  It was at least 8-10 degrees cooler down there today, thank goodness.  Our high for the day Up Here was 65.

Tomorrow is my birthday and Elsie said that I simply could not spend it alone.  She is going to buy a "cook it yourself" pizza on the way home and I will drive Miss Kitty down to share it with her and bring a bottle of wine.

Saturday 5/17.  My 67th birthday and the sixth anniversary weekend of my living Up Here, the first three months being in a pop-up camping trailer.  

The day began as 48 with a heavy overcast.  I washed the dishes and hung out the laundry.  By the time of our 10:30 am walk, the clouds had drifted to the north and the sun was out.  I vacuumed when we returned and cleaned the house a bit.  Had to do this even though it was my birthday, as I had spent most of the week outside, letting everything go inside.  I really should get the lawn mower out, as the grass and dandylions are shooting upward at least an inch a day.  And JB will have a lot of mowing to do with the tractor when he gets back

While sitting outside with my coffee before all this, I saw that at least one junco had discovered the corn meal I had spread at the foot of the porch posts for the ants.  Oh well. . .

It was an incredible birthday gift, just to be able to wake up in our mountain home.  When the dogs woke me up at 5:00 am, I opened all my cards.  Then when I got up again at 7:30 am, I opened my gifts.  I do wish JB could have been here with me, but that's just the way it is.  I spent a lovely hour talking with Sandy.  She had sent me a Pearls Before Swine book, which is one of my favorite comic strips, and a pair of peace-sign earrings.

I thoroughly enjoyed my special day and left for dinner with Elsie at 6:15 pm.  We had wonderful time chatting, eating, and drinking a bottle of wine.  I took a bottle of Orange Muscat I had been hoarding from last year, and it was the perfect cap to the perfect evening.  She gave me a beautiful humming bird solar light for the yard.

I was back home by 9:30 pm.  Went right to bed and had no problem going to sleep with the help of the wine.

Sunday 5/18.  This morning began clear with 47 degrees.  I watered the garden and other plants, again in my pajamas and dressing gown.  It occurred to me while writing this, that there are several words for "dressing gown" that I know of, including bathrobe and house coat.  My Mother always referred to it as a dressing gown, which is the English term.  JB's Mother calls it a house coat, which is, I guess, a mid-west term.  And then there is "bath robe", which I hear out west.

My special day has passed, and I admit, I am a little let down.  It really was a great day, with all the wonderful cards, gifts and phone calls.  I love birthdays and Christmas.  My Mother always made them so special.  I am sure I will feel my child-like excitement for them always.  Even if one doesn't like birthdays, they are certainly better than the alternative. . .

With all the lush green foliage everywhere, it is difficult to imagine a snow-covered landscape.  Spring never fails to startle me with its brilliant and many shades of green, and colorful wild flowers.  Arrowleaf arnica has burst into bloom practically overnight during the week.  So many more are blooming than usual.  It must like the dryer weather.  There is also a lot more bear grass on the south ridge than usual.

The birds are especially vocal this morning.  I sat on the porch trying to absorb it all.  The certainty of nature.  No good or bad.  It simply is what it is.

I saw a different bird this morning.  It must have been a bobolink.  The only one in our book that looks like it.  Very pretty.

I brought down another load of wood from the east slope.  That big pile is now down to almost nothing and I ought to be able to clear it up in one or two more loads.  It was perfect working weather, with a high of 57.  Huge cloud formations drifted over and looked as though they might drop some moisture.  At one point it looked as though it was raining in the mountains to the south, but we never got any.

When JB called, he said that his Mother was doing much better but he wasn't sure when he would be home.  Next Saturday at the latest.

I watched a couple Downton Abby episodes to close the day, and then it was off to bed.

Monday 5/19.  It is 47 and partly cloudy with a breeze.  Today is our Grandson's tenth birthday!

Thought for the day: That moment when the overwhelming feeling of peace descends as you realize control is an illusion, and hope and love a truism.

No comments:

Post a Comment