Friday, May 2, 2014

May 2, 2014 Phenomenal Spring Days

One of the views from our drive on Wednesday.


Wednesday 4/30.  After posting my blog, I went back to bed until 9:00 am.  Just one of those mornings.

It was already 57 when I hung the laundry outside and, while doing so, I decided that this was a day to simply be enjoyed.  So, first, JB enjoyed driving the tractor in order to level out the north horse-shoe pit.  He moved the frame out of the way and leveled the dirt he piled there last Fall.  Then put the frame back in and finished up.  Looks good.

After lunch we took Miss Kitty for a drive.  Loaded the huge bag of glass bottles we saved for my brother, RJ, from winter use into her bed and I drove down the short cut to his cabin.  Then we went down his road to the main canyon road and up to the saddle to explore some of the roads we had never been on.  It was a couple hours and about ten miles.  So much fun to be able to do that, especially on a day like this.  Our high was 64.  No coats needed.

While JB was sitting on the porch in the late afternoon, a humming bird flew up to each of the three poles looking for the feeders, twice.  I guess I better get them hung out there.

Yesterday Dinga turned six years old.  It was also my Mother's birthday.  She would have been 91.  Happy Birthday, Mom.  We sure miss you.  And she would have enjoyed such a phenomenal day as this was on the mountain.

Thursday 5/1.  May Day.  It was 52 and partly cloudy when Dinga woke us up at 7:00 am.  She was barking at some deer on the east slope.  We keep the blinds closed on the front door, but she could hear and/or smell them.

While I was sitting on the porch with my coffee, a humming bird flew up to me as if to say, "Hey Lady.  Get with it!"  All right, already.

JB left for Down There at 8:30 am.  The humming-bird feeders were hanging on the porch posts at 9:00 am, and the humming-bird wars have begun.  Had to be sure the syrup was cool enough.  You would think that we live Up Here just to feed the dogs and humming birds, and be sure all the other birds have water.  Hmmm.  I may have stumbled upon something here. . .  I am sure that Aunt Nene thinks it's her job in life to feed the squirrels, birds, and stray cats.

Out on the porch at 9:00 am, I actually had to sit in the shade as it was too warm in the sun.  It is supposed to be in the middle 80's Down There today and tomorrow, with cooler and wetter weather for the weekend.  

There is just something about sitting out on my porch. . . in the woods. . .on the mountain, especially when the morning sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the bees are buzzing.  My mind is thinking about all the chores I could be doing on such a great day, and my body is thinking just how comfortable this chair is.

No fire needed in the wood stove this morning.  There goes my coffee warmer.

Well, my mind won out.  I washed the dishes and vacuumed.  Then just took my time moving the kindling that was left on the porch to the wood shed.  Also moved the short but heavy stack of pitch wood from the north side.  Swept off the porch and moved the chairs.  Our summer porch is slowly re-emerging.  Then I started getting my things together for my weekend.

JB was back just after 2:30 pm after letting Larry and Elsie's dogs out, so they would have time to run some errands after work.  Then he met one of our neighbors on the road back up and had a nice chat.

It was another phenomenal day, with a high of 70.  Tomorrow I plan to start house-sitting after lunch.

Friday 5/2. When I got up to let the dogs out at 5:00 am, it was 57 with a heavy overcast.  Back up at 8:00 am, the clouds were completely gone and it was 59.  I think the grass has grown another three inches in the past couple days, and so have our pepper plants.

I will not be posting again until Tuesday, as there is no internet signal at Larry and Elsie's house.  

Thought for the day: It is spring fever.  That is what the name of it is.  And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so.  Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment