Wednesday, April 30, 2014

April 30, 2014 Bella & Lucy

Shooting stars, who love the sun
on the south ridge.




Monday 4/28. I was up at 5:50 am to let the dogs out and decided to stay up.  I was out on the porch with my coffee at 7:30 am and the temperature had only warmed up to 32 by then.  Still a bit chilly.  JB got to sleep in this morning.

Looks like we may have put the tomato plant outside too soon, from Siberia or not.  I covered it again, but it has definitely bit the dust.  The pepper plants, however, seem to be doing very well.

I hung the laundry outside but almost froze my fingers off.  It was 44 in the sun and I was in the shade.  The afternoon was much warmer and our high for the day was 53.

After lunch I drove Miss Kitty half-way down the driveway and filled her up with another load of wood.  I now have 1-1/2 rows of kindling.

We drove down to Larry and Elsie's a little after dinner.  Elsie gave me the instructional tour of what to do while house sitting.  They have a new chicken, Bella, given to them from a friend who couldn't keep her any more.  She is very friendly but a couple of the other chickens still pick on her, so she gets special attention.  Their six "new" chicks are no longer babies, almost half the size of the adults now, but still in their own cage right next to the big one.  Bella does have a friend in Lucy, a Rhode Island Red.  When Bella is put up on the roosting ledge in the evening, Lucy will come over and sit next to her.  It is so cute to see.  

After the instructions, we only had time for two games of marbles, which were pretty wild and very close.  The women prevailed on the first game.  The second game came down to whoever rolled a "one" first.  And, again, JB was able to do that, so the men took the second game.  We will have the rubber game in a couple weeks.

It was a great evening, but we didn't get to bed til almost midnight.

Tuesday, 4/29.  Today was a glorious Spring day!  It began with clear skies and a temperature of 36, with a high for the day of 56.  The forecast for tomorrow is 77 for Down There.  Should be a very nice weekend.  I have decided to stay at Larry and Elsie's house all the time for the four days and JB will come down for an evening or two, especially if there are any hockey games on TV.  It will be like a mini vacation for me.

I drove Miss Kitty down the driveway again this morning while JB planted some of the potatoes.  I filled up her bed with wood, then stacked it all after lunch.  I went down for a second load and brought back a lot of pieces for the wood cradle.  Then I helped JB plant potatoes - reds and Yukons.  A lot of reds and Yukons.  I still had a basket with a few reds from last year that were trying to grow, so we planted four of those just to see how they would do.

JB will be going Down There tomorrow for his annual cardio check up.  And, of course, the list of errands for him to do just keeps getting longer.  After all, I do need some ice cream to take with me for the weekend. . .

The dogs and I went for a nice, lazy walk after dinner.  A cool breeze had sprung up over the south ridge, but my bench on the north ridge was in the sun with just a light breeze.  The perfect end to a perfect day.

Wednesday 4/30.  This morning is 43 and clear.  The end of April already.  My, that was fast.  I will be posting on Friday but then not again until Tuesday as there is no internet reception at Larry and Elsie's.

Thought for the day:  Guard your own spare moments.  They are like uncut diamonds.  Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment