Wednesday, April 9, 2014

April 9, 2014 Nice & Warm

Looking southeast from the top of the peak
on Monday - no snow.

Monday 4/7.  I don't remember April being this warm.  Will have to check our records 'cause it seems more like May or June.

I hung the laundry outside again - sheets this time.  It is going to smell so nice when I put them on the bed.  Defrosted the fridge.  Cleaned out the wood stove (long overdue).  Such a warm day that I opened a few windows and the side door.  Our high for the day was 59.

I am going Down There on Thursday to do my after-winter restock.  I will probably always have a little more on hand now with the way things are going.  Especially dog food.  I often let that get down to one 40# bag.  Won't do that any more.

JB had somehow twisted his knee, so he spent most of the day getting to know all about the hand-held HAM radio his nephew had given him (FM instead of AM like our short-wave).  Funny how that knee was acting up today.

After dinner the dogs and I went on a walk.  Jesse was just so excited when he realized what we were doing.  An after-dinner walk - Woo Hoo!!  Just as were were coming back down the south ridge, Larry and Elsie were driving up to the house.  As soon as they got out, Larry took the chains off the tires as he didn't think he would need them any more on our road.  It was kind of odd to see them in the light of day, as all winter it is dark when they come up to visit.

Tuesday 4/8.  It was 47 and mostly clear with a light wind this morning.  The first morning we did not need to put in a fire.

I could not sleep last night, even though I was really tired.  It's been quite a while since that has happened.  When I got up at 8:30 am, and took my coffee out on the porch as it was another magnificent day.  But I was still so sleepy that by 9:30 am, I was back in bed.  Got up again at 11:00 am much more refreshed.  I love being retired. . .

As I suspected, NOAA said that temperatures for the past few days have been 10 to 15 degrees higher than normal.  Our high for today was 63, which is our highest yet this year.  It's a good thing that JB's nephew was here over the weekend, because most of the snow and mud are gone now.  But the sky became overcast by 4:30 pm and at 5:00 pm we had a short rain shower.  

After lunch we drove Miss Kitty down to my Jeep and I brought it up to where our road turns off the main canyon road.  We should be able to bring it all the way home in a week or so.  It was a beautiful day for a ride.

JB is going to Seattle on Saturday for the week to help his brother build a new tasting room for his winery.  He will be back the day before Easter.

Am seeing lots of different kinds of birds about.  Saw our first grosbeaks today.  And I saw a bird that looked like a dull green parakeet.  Don't think we have any wild parakeets around here, although there are plenty in Chicago.

JB baked a cranberry (craisin) pound cake this afternoon and it turned out perfect.  Yum!

Downton Abbey night!  If we didn't schedule it for a specific night, I am sure I would have just watched it all by now.  But I really do want to try to make it last.

Didn't put in a fire this evening as it is still 71 degrees in the house.

Wednesday 4/9.  A very cool temperature of 34 greeted us this morning with mostly overcast skies.  I put in a fire at 5:00 am when the dogs got me up.  At that time the house had cooled down to 64.  Not bad at all.

Thought for the day: Everything you want is on the other side of fear.  Jack Canfield

No comments:

Post a Comment