Wednesday, April 2, 2014

April 2, 2014 Scents & Songs

Tray from trunk used as display shelf.


Monday 3/31.  I had taken some "oldies" cd's to Larry and Elsie's last night to listen to while we played marbles.  Unfortunately two of them were The Righteous Brothers, whom I enjoy even more than The Beatles.  Scents and songs tend to take you back to times and places, and I got quite melancholy as their songs took me back.  Not the best mood to be in while playing a competitive dice game.

We need to work on thinning the trees on our property this year, and will start on the north ridge where there are a lot of little ones crowding the larger ones.  That will probably be the easiest place to start and then go on to the east slop where we need to take down several large trees.  The west slope is the worst, as it is quite crowded and very steep, and although the trees are tall, they are small in diameter.

While working in the loft, I had put blankets in my Dad's Marine Corps trunk and there was no room for the tray.  So I took it out and am using it as a display shelf on the edge of the loft.  (See photo above.)  Am very pleased with how it turned out.  The black and white picture at the bottom left of the photo is a pen and ink and water color done by JB's Mom.

It was another partly cloudy day with a high of 46.  A good day to work outside, so we did.  I trimmed a couple of trees and we put the other string of solar lights on the fence.

Tuesday 4/1.  It was 35 and mostly clear this morning.  Clouds floated over during the day and we had a light, cool breeze.  Our high was 50.  The warmest day this year.

I have been getting too lazy - too sedentary - this winter.  I need to get moving more and this is the season to do it.  So today I went on the morning walk with JB and the dogs.  After lunch I drove Miss Kitty up the east slope to a pile of branch wood.  In two trips I was able to move it all down to the wood shed where I broke it into smaller lengths and stacked it.  Then I took the dogs for their afternoon walk while JB baked french bread and started dinner.  He tried a recipe for scalloped potatoes, making it with the dried potato slices, and it turned out delicious.

I will be going Down There on Thursday.  I had planned to go today but my cousin will be in town, so I am going to meet her.

We finished watching season three of Downton Abbey this evening and thank goodness I already knew the tragic ending, otherwise I would have been devastated.  It was sad enough as it was.  It is interesting that no other program affects me as much as this one. 

Wednesday 4/2. We have a light overcast this morning with a temperature of 35.  Looks as though it will be a good day to work outside.

Thought for the day: In the woods we return to reason and faith.  Ralph Waldo Emerson.

1 comment:

  1. Rose do you have ticks in the mountain where you are. In Ky we have tiny ticks. I had 22 on me after just a short walk. Very fustrating. Glad you are having some good weather.

    ReplyDelete