Monday, August 18, 2014

August 18, 2014 Fire Wood & Onions

The longer pieces of the trees. . .

. . . and the rounds.





















Friday 8/15. JB left for Down There at 8:00 am.  Everything is muddy and/or soggy, but who cares?!!  It's cool!  And there's not nearly as much fire danger.

I got busy after blogging and did not go on a morning walk.  I am just going to have to face the fact that I am no longer a morning person.  I am not going to get up and go for an early morning hike unless I am visiting Claudia.  Don't want to let an 85-year-old show me up. . .  But at home I will get my exercise later in the day.

JB had dug up all the onions on Wednesday, so I braided the rest of them.  They are supposed to be hung in a dark, cool place, so I hung them above our dresser in the bedroom.  We keep that room as cool as possible and that is the darkest corner.  I hope it works.

JB was home by noon and after lunch we went to work on the trees we had felled.  JB sawed them into 6 - 8 foot pieces.  I took two loads in Miss Kitty to where the new cradle will be.  We worked for about an hour until it looked like we were going to get rained on.  Just as we got in the house, the first rain drops fell and we heard some far-off thunder.

I love to sit out on the porch while it is raining, which is what I did in order to cool off.  JB lay down for a nap and I soon followed him.  The shower only lasted about twenty minutes and there wasn't any more thunder.

The girls have given us an egg a day since I got home, and that's about what they did while I was gone.  However, we got two today.

Our high for today was 70.  A very pleasant day.

Saturday 8/16.  It was 56 and clear this morning, with warmer temps in the forecast.

Dinga was acting like there was a critter in JB's jeep, so we opened up the hood and there was a nest!  I took it apart and JB put in a piece of poison, so hopefully that will take care of the problem.  I saw the critter and it is definitely a pack rat.

We got out right after breakfast and felled eight trees along the north ridge and by the tipi.  One large one got hung up on some others and we had to pull it with JB's jeep to get it to fall down.  I did some limbing.

Our high for the day was 75 and clouds moved in as the day wore on.  Last night cooled of nicely.  It felt so good to finally pull the covers up instead of kicking them off.  And today was that summer day that quietly whispers, "Fall is just around the corner."

Sunday 8/17.  It was 59 and clear this morning.  With warmer temps promised, we went out to work right after our big Sunday breakfast.  JB made eggs with an heirloom tomato from his brother's garden and O'brien potatoes fresh from our garden.

JB cut one large tree and one smaller tree into rounds.  I finished limbing them all and cut some of the larger branches into fire wood.  JB used the tractor to haul the rounds to the splitter, and the longer pieces to the pile we had started yesterday.  We were done - and done in - by 1:30 pm.  By then it was 81 outside, but with a nice breeze.

As tired as I was, I couldn't put off vacuuming any longer.  I should have done it yesterday, but the sky clouded over.  Today there was plenty of sun, and the ground is drying out.

Monday 8/18. This morning is 64 and clear.  We want to get the rest of the trees cut and cleaned up before it gets too hot.  JB wants to start chipping the branches, too.

Thought for the day: The justification and purpose of freedom of speech is not to indulge those who want to speak their minds. It is to prevent error and discover truth. There may be other ways of detecting error and discovering the truth than that of free discussion, but so far we have not found them. Henry Steele Commager

No comments:

Post a Comment