Wednesday, August 27, 2014

August 27, 2014 Play & Work


A couple deer we saw in Idaho.





Monday 8/25. Dinga started barking about 7:30 this morning and roused JB out of bed.  There was a doe and fawn ambling across the south ridge, so he let them get most of the way before letting the dogs out.  There is a fawn or two that show up regularly on our game cam.  They are just beginning to lose their spots and haven't grown into their large ears yet.

Our son got JB set up with Magic on his computer and the internet, so last night they were finally able to play on-line together.  Great fun, and they want to set up a specific night each week to play.

I am drying seeds from Claudia's spaghetti squash and JB's brother's acorn and zucchini squash so hopefully we can grow some next year.  Am also going to try tomatoes once again.

With all our water barrels full, I actually had to throw water from the dogs' dish down the drain today.  It seemed like almost a sacrilege!  I used rain water from a barrel to water the garden rather than the cistern, so I get that made up for it.  With all the onions and some of the potatoes gone, I only needed to fill my watering can three times.

I finished splitting and stacking the last of the rounds.  Turned out to be two large loads and I am a little more than 1/4 of the way into row six in the wood shed.  JB chipped two Miss Kitty loads of branches.

We left at about 5:00 pm for Larry's and Elsie's, going via my brother's cabin to drop off a couple bags of empty bottles for him to use on his outside wall.  Then it was on to the fish fry and a night of good conversation and laughter, sitting on the deck after dark and trying to identify the stars.  A couple bottles of wine always seem to make that more fun.

Tuesday 8/26. It was 59 and clear this morning, with a forecast for a cold holiday weekend.  Was a little slower day after last night. . .

The propane delivery truck arrived at our place just after we finished washing the dishes.  Seems one of our neighbors was in a panic to get more, so this year's delivery is a month early.  Even figuring out another month's worth of use, we used less this past year than we have since we have been Up Here, and that includes the years I was doing the summer laundry Down There.  Interesting. . .

JB vacuumed out the engines of both our vehicles, now that the critter is gone.  I gathered another bag of pine needles, then cleaned out the south side of the out house we had been using for storage in preparation for our BBQ.  

Now that I am done splitting the rounds, we have to wait for some more rain before we can use the chain saw to cut up the longer pieces.  The ground and foliage are drying out again.

I am going Down There tomorrow morning to help Elsie at their store so Larry can be at home for a big delivery they are expecting.  I'll be able to pick up my new camera that has arrived at our mail box, and hopefully also the fire safe we ordered.  Figured that would pay for itself in a couple years rather than using a safe deposit box.  

No clouds today and our high was 84.  That seemed awfully warm now that we have had a few cool weeks.  I can remember thinking that mid-80's seemed very comfortable, compared to the hot weather we had be experiencing.

Wednesday 8/27. It is 64 and the sky is clear this morning.  I want to get on my way by 8:45 am.

Thought for the day: The game of life is not so much holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well. H.T. Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment