Friday, August 22, 2014

August 22, 2014 Cooler Days & Nights

Jesse enjoying our cooler weather.




Wednesday 8/20.  On the road to Down There at 8:30 am and home by 1:00 pm.  The clouds had cleared by the time I arrived in town, I wished I had worn shorts instead of jeans.  At least the stores are air conditioned. . .  Our high for the day was only 77, while theirs was 86.

I finally found a hat to wear Up Here at Costco.  It's a Booney hat with 100 SPF protection.  It is so comfy and doesn't make my head sweat.  Since menopause, I don't perspire, I sweat like a wrestler.

When favorite actors pass on, it always leaves such a big hole in my heart.  Three of my favorites gone in just the past few weeks: James Garner, Loren Bacall and, worst of all, Robin Williams.  Time magazine had a tremendous tribute to Robin that brought tears to our eyes as both JB and I read it.  Such a guy who gave so much and bore so much emotional pain in his life.  My favorite movies of his: Mrs. Doubtfire, Good Morning Vietnam, and The Birdcage.  Goodnight, Little Prince.

Thursday 8/21. The day began with a clear sky and a temperature of 56.  Was a very pleasant day with a high of 80 and a cool breeze.  JB thoroughly vacuumed out the engine of his Jeep to get rid of the pack rat nest.  Seems it has moved into my Jeep. . .  There must be more than one of them, as the poison is being eaten and there is still one around.  They are so cute that when we first saw them up here five years ago, I didn't want to get rid of them.  But the damage they cause more than out weighs their cuteness.  Bye bye, pack rats.

I re-potted the aloe plant I bought yesterday.  Then dug out one of the drainage canals on the north side of the house.  Thunder storms were in the forecast for this evening, but it looks like they all went north of us.  We did hear a few claps in the distance and could actually smell the rain, but our skies remained fairly clear.

We received a new magazine in the mail, Permaculture.  It seems that BackWoods has gone out of business and our subscription will be fulfilled with this new one which is published in the UK.  It came in a thin, white envelope that looks like plastic but is made out of potato starch and is 100% biodegradable and compostable.  How cool is that!  If the inside is as interesting as the outside, we may just subscribe, even though it is only printed quarterly.

Friday 8/22. This morning is 57 with clear skies.  We need to clean up the rest of the branches from the trees we felled, so JB is going to do more chipping.  When the splitter is in the shade, I'll get started on the rounds.

Thought for the day: Don't worry if you make waves just being yourself. The moon does it all the time.

1 comment:

  1. I have read that mice do not like clothes dryer sheets, I dont know if they will deter a pack rat.

    ReplyDelete