Wednesday, November 12, 2014

November 12, 2014 Ice, Trees & Laughter

Snow covered mountains, including Mt. Baker,
far to the north.
JB putting up the winter slats over
the generator room.

















Monday 11/10. So as soon as I write that I will not be renewing my subscription to Mary Jane's Farm magazine, I receive her Dec/Jan issue and love it! Lots of great ideas and recipes.  (Still won't be renewing though.)

After lunch JB drove Miss Kitty down to Larry's.  When Larry heard that we were going to build ramps for Miss Kitty, he insisted JB come down and borrow his.  While he was gone, I made a few trips down to where we cut the trees to get branch wood, not only from the trees we cut but also from the many, many dry fir branches that are down there.

When JB returned home, I helped him change the oil in Miss Kitty.  Much easier with those ramps.  He was going to put it off until tomorrow, but after checking NOAA's forecast, he decided we better get it done today.  Our high temperature for the day was 39, and that is warm compared to what's in store for us for the rest of the week.

It doesn't matter how much we do, I always feel like I should be doing more.  So many possibilities Up Here.  Of course I finally have an outlet for the writing I have always wanted to do, but I haven't been working on any crafts for a while.  So many ideas just waiting to come to life.

Tuesday 11/11. It was 18 and overcast, with a little breeze this Veteran's Day.  I cooked some oatmeal for the girls this morning and cut up a banana in it.  Oh my!  Did they love that!  Had to pour boiling water into their water pan to melt the ice.  Gave them warmed cabbage for their afternoon snack.

A short snow flurry passed through as I was feeding them.  We could see snow on the hills to the north of town and a lot more on the mountains.  Definitely a long-underwear day.  I brought in LOTS of fire wood this morning.

The girls gave us an egg this morning and I had to put it in the refrigerator to warm it up.

After lunch JB used his Wrangler to pull up the other two trees we had felled a few days ago.  They are tall, but no larger than 10" in diameter.  I trimmed off the last of their branches while JB put up the winter boards across the open (east) side of the generator room.  By then the sky was clear and the temperature had warmed to 22.

Took a frigid afternoon walk, and by then the the day had cooled to 19 and still with that persistent breeze.  Put some more pine shavings in the girls' nesting boxes, more hot water in their water pan, and gave them their afternoon corn.  They seem to be doing fine.

Randy in north Idaho has already been "enjoying" these frigid temperatures and snow flurries for a day or two.  Don't envy him.

Well, the impostor finally made me laugh.  He is in China for a economic conference and, when he saw Putin, he said, "After those mid-term elections it's good to finally see a friendly face!"  Funny on so many levels.

Am going Down There tomorrow for my annual mammogram and bone density test, plus ten other stops.  Groceries; a battery for MAX; oil for Miss Kitty; mail; etc.  Going to be a cold trip.

Wednesday 11/12. It is only 11 degrees Up Here this morning with clear, icy blue skies.  As I write, JB is fixing oatmeal for the girls and heating water.  I do not look forward to going outside.

Thought for the day: Writer (n): a peculiar organism capable of transforming caffeine into words.


No comments:

Post a Comment