Friday, November 14, 2014

November 14, 2014 Just Trying to Stay Warm


Warming up after a day out in the cold.
Brought in lots of wood, and will use about
2/3 to 3/4 of this in 24 hours.
















Wednesday 11/12. The temperature was a balmy 14 degrees when I left at about 9:00 am.  A long day Down There, but I thought it was such a good day until I got back home.  The clerk at the grocery store did not put the two Sunday and one daily newspapers in my cart.  I completely forgot two very important items that we needed.  And I nearly froze my fingers off driving down.  The heater in my Jeep only works when the fan is on high.  It hasn't been used since early May and I forgot to turn it on to check it out.  Didn't want to get blasted with dust and mice nests on my way Down There. . .

The day barely warmed to freezing in town, but I had on a bulky turtleneck, long-john bottoms under my jeans, and my winter boots.  Ended up taking off my coat about noon, as I was working up a sweat with all my bustling around.

I didn't get back home until after 3:30 pm and our high for the day had been 21.  There are usually 7 to 10 degrees difference between our two temperature gauges, the one on the porch registering the lowest.  So all our recorded temperatures, prior to installing our weather station, have been colder than it actually was.

Since has been so cold, I am setting the alarm for 2:00 am to get up and stoke the fire.  At that time, the temperature in the great room is usually about 65.  During the day we are able to keep it at 69.  But that doesn't mean it is really warm.  I wear long-john bottoms, and sometimes tops, under my winter clothes,  every day during the winter, and even then I can get chilly.  

Thursday 11/13.  It was 14 outside when I got up to feed the fire, and still 14 when JB got up at 7:00 am, with a partial light overcast.  JB drove his Jeep Down There today to get sand (six 50lb bags) to put into the back of Miss Kitty when we have snow and he has to plow.  And to pick up the items I forgot yesterday.  NOAA has been forecasting snow for today, and, I swear, everyone from our two counties was in town yesterday to stock up.  But now the forecast has changed and the snow may skirt to the south and east of us.  We'll see.

I worked inside organizing my winter outer clothes; making room in the pantry for all the food I bought yesterday; and just generally cleaning up

The pile of rounds by the splitter may be sitting there until February.  It won't work unless the temperature is at least 40.

The girls gave us another egg today.  I check their water several times throughout the day and break the ice on it.  They sure love their hot oatmeal in the morning and start eating it before I even get the pan on the ground.

The sky was completely overcast and the temp up to 22 when JB got home at 12:30 pm.  

There was a note in Time magazine that Lincoln sales increased by 25% after an ad with Mathew McConaughey aired.  Unbelievable!  Not having seen commercials in so long, I am amazed at how they can manipulate so many people!  No wonder this country is in trouble.

Friday 11/14. It is 19 with clear skies this morning, and no snow.  Elsie and I both feel that if we have to put up with these arctic temperatures, we ought to at least be rewarded with snow.  It would also provide a protective covering for the plants.

Thought for the day: Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith. 






No comments:

Post a Comment