Monday, December 15, 2014

December 15, 2014 Sunshine, Power & Gin-Soaked Raisins!

As they say west of the Cascades:
"Oh, look! The mountains are out!"




Friday 12/12. Having received some misinformation from clerks at the post office, I drove Down There to pick up a package at the Fed Ex Store.  It seems that neither they nor UPS can deliver to the post office unless the addressee has a post office box.  Since I was going to town, I spent most of the morning frantically addressing Christmas cards and writing notes in them.  Got all but five done that needed additional inserts, so now all but those five are in the mail.

This was my first trip down where I drove Miss Kitty to JB's Wrangler parked at Larry and Elsie's, and then drove in to town.  So coming back up, I remembered the package but forgot the mail pouch in the Jeep.

The skies were overcast but there was no fog all day!  Our high for the day was 41 and the ground remains a mucky mud.  Our road has twice as much mud and there is still lots of ice on the main canyon road, but it is melting.  

Using the gasoline generator is not nearly as easy as using the propane one that can be started from inside the house by just pressing a button.  One of us has to go outside to start to start it, and then outside again to turn it off.

I have read in more than one periodical that gin-soaked raisins are good for arthritis.  Sounded like something I might like to try.  Only have to eat 6-8 of them a day.  The problem is that I don't know which is worse - the taste of the raisins or the pain of the arthritis.  Ewwww!

Saturday 12/13.  It was 38 with a clear, blue sky this morning.  No clouds and lots of power all day long!  Woo Hoo!  And with last night's low temp, the mud had hardened, so we didn't squish wherever we walked.

I spent time in the morning printing everything I needed from the past week, including a couple Christmas cards I had forgotten.

With all the dirt getting into the cistern, I thought we should dig down to where the pipe enters the tank to see if there is a break there, like a couple years ago.  The ground was only firm for a few inches down and then it was mud.  It took us almost two hours to dig a 1-1/2' X 2-1/2' hole.  I got so frustrated that I completely lost it and began railing against all the forces causing all this.  Obviously in need of a time out, I went up to the south ridge and sat on my bench for a little while.  In the sun.  Turns out there is no break that we could see.  When the ground gets so saturated from all the snow melt and rain, we usually end up with murky water.  So next summer we are going to dig down to see where it may be seeping in and try to stop it.  It was definitely an ibuprofen night. . .

Sunday 12/14.  It was 30 with bright, blue skies again this morning, and a little fog in the river valleys.  I will never again take those clear skies for granted.  Unfortunately by 2:00 pm the clouds had moved in, and so had some fog, but we were still able to pull in a lot of power and get electricity things done.

I called Sandy and Randy this morning, as I had pretty much been out of communication with all our power issues.  Hadn't even taken time on my computer to check my email.

We both puttered around inside and out, after a nice brunch of eggs and pancakes with vanilla and cinnamon baked in.

Elsie called about 2:00 pm to see if they could come up and play marbles.  Well, of course!  And I asked if they could bring up the forgotten bag of mail.   They got here about 4:00 pm and we had a great time, as usual.  It is amazing how many games come down to just one roll.  This time the guys made it.

In the mail was our gift from my cousin who always makes a Christmas decoration for us.  This year is was a beautiful poinsettia made from toilet paper rolls, a sparkly snowflake made from puzzle pieces and a bag of reindeer noses, six brown and one red.  Okay, now I am officially in the Christmas spirit.  Will be getting the decorations out tomorrow.  Thank you, Suzann!

Monday 12/15. It is 29 and overcast this morning.  Sometime after 5:00 am we received a light dusting of snow.

Thought for the day: Remember, if Christmas isn't found in your heart, you won't find it under the tree.  cherishyourday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment