Wednesday, June 3, 2015

June 3, 2015 Birdhouse & Wild Flowers

The "new" bird house.
Some of the lupine along our road.




















Monday 6/1. NOAA's forecast for today predicted rain from noon to 5:00 am tomorrow, and up to 1" of rain per hour in thunder storms.  So we tried to get all our outside work done this morning.  I was out right after breakfast and finished all the mowing.  Ran out of gas just as I was taking the last swipe.  Then we finally put up a bird house that I had purchased in Chicago eight years ago.  I still have to find a place for the one that JB's Brother and Sister-in-law brought back from Montana for us last year.

After lunch I did some more very successful searching for devil's thorn.  Am working on my second bag now.

Clouds were dark and foreboding when we started, but there was a lot of blue sky by the time we stopped for lunch.  We had three five-minute showers during the day, but it wasn't until 4:30 pm when the first clap of thunder rolled down the canyon to the south of us.  The rain arrived ten minutes later, but only lasted for a half an hour or so.  I'm sure it was pouring somewhere in eastern Washington, just not here.  Our high for the day was 72.

We have some really fat robins Up Here now.  Didn't see any for the longest time, and now they are everywhere.

We started watching season one of Tyrant this evening, a DVD that Sandy sent to me for my birthday.  Takes place in the middle east and is quite well done.

Tuesday 6/2. It was 50 this morning with a 13 mph, chilly wind and partly cloudy skies.  Nice to have a cool interlude.

Our project for today was to mow our road down to the main canyon road, which is about 1-3/4 miles one way.  We left a little after 10:00 am, with the dogs and I walking in front of the tractor in order to point out any hidden rocks to JB.  I also walked most of the way back up, taking photos all the way (85 total).  With all the scents and sights, I am at a complete loss of words with which to describe our experience.  No Texas plain nor Colorado mountain meadow was ever so vibrant with wild flowers!  

We need an American Monet Up Here to capture these flowers on canvas.  Hmmm. . .maybe my friend, Jane, should come out from North Carolina.  She's a very talented artist.

On our way back up we cut a ways down on the short cut to RJ's place.  Found some fairly fresh bear scat on the road.  While we were out and about, Jesse rolled in something, and I think that was it.  I guess he wanted to smell like a bear so he could sneak up on one.

We were gone about three hours and we all enjoyed the outing.  Well, except for all the dust that the tractor threw up.  We had a quiet afternoon.  The dogs slept.  JB and I read out books.  Then I finished Sandy's birthday present which I will mail on Thursday.  Her birthday (the BIG 70) is on Sunday.

We have a new bird Up Here that I have never heard before.  Haven't been able to see it yet, but it has a very distinctive and pleasant song.

The girls gave us 55 eggs in May.  More and more each month.

Still lots of clouds by late afternoon and our high for the day was 64.  Perfect weather for working outside.

On these long Spring and Summer evenings, I often enjoy strolling around Rose Camp after dinner and just being.

Wednesday 6/3. It is 48 and overcast this morning with warmer weather promised for tomorrow.

Thought for the day: The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment