Monday, April 25, 2016

April 25, 2016 An Early Rattlesnake!

Our first rattlesnake of the year -
about six weeks early!
My bench on the south ridge.











Friday 4/22. Right after breakfast we drove down to my Jeep and brought her back home.  There were only a few puddles on the road and just one small spot of snow along the side, about two feet square.

I hung the wash outside, stacked more kindling and cut up more branches.  We both generally did little outside chores.

At least one of the pair of wrens has returned.  Don't know if they have decided where to nest yet.  I haven't seen them near the bird house.

Our high for the day was 64 with a cool breeze.  The overcast broke up mid morning and we had large clouds drifting in from the south, taking the rain north of us.

Saturday 4/23. It was 42 and mostly overcast with a wind gusting to 16 mph this morning.

As soon as we finished breakfast we drove the Wrangler down to Miss Kitty and pulled her up to the beginning of our driveway.  The Wrangler overheated and just as JB parked it at home, the radiator blew.  We let it cool of and then filled it back up with water from the cistern.

Wanting to get rid of the few piles of large branches that we still have around, we started on the one south of the house.  I walked up to it to start sorting large from small pieces, while JB brought up the tractor.  As I bent over to pick up some smalls sticks, I heard a familiar rattling sound.  Our first rattlesnake of the year, and about six weeks early!  Gave me quite a start!  I immediately went down to the house to get my snake stick.  It hadn't moved by the time I got back to the wood pile so I quickly dispatched it, cutting off its head and rattles.

I loaded the tractor bucket several times and JB took the loads to the wood cradle or wood shed, depending on the size of wood in the load.  We broke for lunch, and finished the pile in a few more loads afterwards.

I showed the snake to the dogs so they would know that they are out and about.  Jesse would not go up to the south ridge on our walk.  He just waited at the house until we got back down, and then finished the walk with Dinga and me out to the north ridge with us.  He hates snakes!

JB worked in his shop and I cut a few more branches on the north ridge.  The skies again cleared up by mid morning and clouds slowly made their way to the northeast taking the rain with them.  The wind stayed pretty constant all day, and our high was 58.

Sunday 4/24.  It was 40, mostly overcast and still windy this morning, gusting to 13 mph.  For me, it was mostly a day for inside chores: vacuuming, cleaning, sorting, etc.  Ugh. . .

I did get outside to help JB move the splitter from its winter parking place back to the splitting area.  JB took the chains off the Wrangler, and noticed that the radiator is leaking.  Guess we'll have to get a new one.

I loaded my Jeep with bags of paper recycle and items to donate to the thrift shop in preparation for my trip Down There on Tuesday.  I have to get food and a water dish for the pullets (young hens less than a year old - Thank you, Elsie), and some groceries.

JB baked banana bread and was quite busy outside most of the day.

Our high was 54, but the warm sun did not make up for the icy wind that stayed with us all day, and by afternoon was gusting to 15 mph.

Larry and Elsie drove up for a visit this evening.  Larry suggested that we try Stop Leak in the radiator, but if that doesn't work, he has a brand new Jeep radiator that we can have.  So nice to have such good neighbors.

Monday 4/25. It is 34 this morning with blue sky and wind.  We are in for cooler temps now for a while.

Thought for the day: We are spiritual beings having a human experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment