Monday, April 4, 2016

April 4, 2016 Free-ranging Chickens & A Stuck Miss Kitty

Spring Beauties already in bloom. . .
. . . along with yellow bells.

The girls in their add-on pen.













Friday 4/1. Amazing how quickly we have gone from the back of winter to full-on spring!  Looks to be another incredible year for wildflowers.  Elsie says that the balsam root is already blooming on the slope across from their house.  This quick season change is reminiscent of Chicago where the same thing happens but spring only lasts for a week, or two at the most.  Then you have six months of summer.

When feeding the girls this morning, I did not lock the hen house door so when JB went out a little later, there were three free-ranging hens LOVING it!  We got the dogs inside before they noticed them, and it took about a half an hour to get the girls back in their pen.  Then I took the small dog pen we have and put it around the door to their pen so they could have some more space.  We will use it to enclose the new hens outside the pen so the girls can all get used to each other before we put them together.  They gave us two eggs today.

We saw robins Up Here today, which I think is the earliest so far.  So nice that I hung all the wash outside.  Another beautiful day and our high was 60.

We put the chain back on MAX's sprocket and parked him.  Then did some general yard clean-up, only our "yard" is about five acres big.

The finish on the deck is beginning to peel, so I am helping it along.  Will have to re-seal it this summer.

We watched one of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour DVD's last night.  My jaws ached from laughing so hard.

Saturday 4/2. It was 44 and mostly clear this morning.  JB left for Down There a little after 9:00 am to play Magic cards.

With all the melting, there is a lot of mud right by the house.  So I built a path going south from the porch with large pieces of bark that I save for just such a project.  Then I sorted out my closet and gathered a large bag of clothes to take to the thrift shop.  Have to make room for more clothes that I will buy there. . .

I had to let water out of the cistern as it was beginning to climb up the riser.  I let out at least 100 gallons which really hurt 'cause I know that at some point we will want it back.  Also trimmed the rose bushes that are budding like all the other bushes, including my lilac and nine-bark.

The dogs enjoyed spending most of the day outside and much of it lying in the horseshoe pits.  Jesse in the south one in the sun and Dinga in the north one in the shade.

Every time I was on the west or north ridges I could hear the wild turkeys.  Often they sound a lot like grouse, but today there was no doubt it was turkeys as they were doing their "gobble, gobble, gobble".

The girls gave us two eggs again today.  I think they heard we were getting more chickens and they want to be sure they don't end up in the stew pot.

JB called at 5:00 pm saying he was on his way home.  Then he called around 6:00 pm to say he was stuck about 1/2 mile from the house.  The dogs and I walked down to see if we could help.  Unfortunately the cable on the winch snapped, so we all just hiked back home.  At least it was a great day for a walk, with a high of 62.

Didn't get back til 7:45 pm.  Had a late dinner and then to bed.

Sunday 4/3. I got up at 5:00 am to let the dogs out and was wide awake.  So I stayed up and fixed a "latte."  Buster was up to visit at about 8:00 am.  By then it was 46 with mostly clear skies.

We were on our way down to Miss Kitty before 10:00 am, pulling the chain, shovel and high-lift jack on the sled.  In the next three hours we managed to get a lot of exercise, but not much else.  There is obviously something about the concept of getting unstuck from the snow that we two old folks just do not understand. . .  We'll try again tomorrow.  

Had to let more water out the the cistern again today.  But I really doubt I will have to do it again as there just isn't that much snow left.

It was another great day with a few thin, high clouds and a high of 58.  The girls gave us two more eggs!  I am going to have to start baking.

We watched Michael with John Travolta this evening.  Another favorite that is always a joy.

Monday 4/4. It is 38, mostly cloudy with a wind that arrived at about 4:00 am gusting to 23 mph.

Thought for the day: If pigs could vote, the man with the slop bucket would be elected swineherd every time, no matter how much slaughtering he did on the side.  Orson Scott Card


No comments:

Post a Comment