Monday, February 19, 2018

February 19, 2018 Miss Kitty & More Snow

HUGE rock on the road, but
was able to drive around it.



Friday 2/16. Was up at 7:00 am to post my blog and feed the animals, then went back to bed to sleep for another two hours.  That's what I love about being retired, I can nap just about any time I want to!

I was on my way walking down to Miss Kitty by 11:00, and by then the wind was gusting to 23 mph.  Guess I am getting used to it.  I was in no hurry, so it was about a 45-minute walk (1-3/4 miles).  I saw lots of deer tracks, and one set of small cat tracks going most of the way down.

The main road didn't look much worse than the last time I was on it, so I drove Miss Kitty down to pick up our mail.  It hadn't overflowed into the package box, but it would have on the next delivery.  On the way back up, I stopped to have a chat with Larry and Elsie.  Then was on my way to drive all the way home, and arrived there at 1:30 pm.

Took the dogs on their afternoon walk and saw a bald eagle soaring over the south ridge.  Just over the ridge, a large flock of magpies flew to the west.  I often see them when driving through the paved canyon, but don't remember ever seeing them Up Here.

A great day with lots of blue sky and sunshine, and a high of 44.  Our highest wind gust was 25 mph.

Saturday 2/17. It was 29 and snowing this morning, with 2" of new snow.  Intermittent, gusty winds picked up a little after 10:00 am and snow stopped falling.  By then we had another 2" of heavy, wet snow and the temperature had risen to 34.  Soon after 11:00, the sky was mostly blue with small clouds racing across to the south.

We just did our morning chores and enjoyed reading the mail and magazines I brought up yesterday.  I received my first issue of Britain magazine and LOVE it!

By noon the second wave of clouds blew in, bringing more snow.  But by then I had grabbed the sun's power to turn the water on so I could wash the dishes and my hair.  JB had taken the dogs on their morning walk at 10:30 and cleaned off the solar panels, while I brought in the wood.

One thing about living on a mountain, Mother Nature rarely gives us a dull moment.  And on this very windy day of gusts to 34, we had a high temperature of 38.

Sunday 2/18. It was 20 and overcast this morning with valley fog.  We noticed tiny snowflakes beginning to drift down about 9:30 am, and as they drifted down, the fog crept up.

We all went on the morning walk together.  Up on the south ridge an icy breeze with coming in from the south.

Snow fell all day, whether heavy or light there were snowflakes constantly in the air.  By 2:00 pm, we had 1/2" more.  Sometimes they gently drifted down; other times they raced to see who could reach the ground first.  However it comes down, I love the way it is so relaxing to just sit and watch the flakes fall.

I also love the way younger women are decorating their hair with rainbow colors!  I would love to put some lavender in mine.  Hmmm. . . maybe this summer.

Still enjoying the new magazines and catalogues.  In the evenings we are now watching the second season of The Flash.

Monday 2/19. The arctic blast has definitely arrived.  It is 8 this morning with clear, blue skies.  Won't be doing much outside today. . .

Thought for the day: Today I will live for the moment.  Unless it is unpleasant, in which cast I will eat a cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment