Wednesday, February 13, 2019

February 13, 2019 48" Of Snow in 5 Days!!

Icicles are now punji stakes.
Me clearing off the side of
the generator/battery shed roof.












Monday 2/11. I measured another 3" of snow received overnight.  I am telling everyone that we are just fine.  Warm and dry, with plenty of food, chocolate, and toilet paper.  It's folks on the west side of the mountains who I am really concerned about.  20" in Port Orchard and a foot in many other places.  The weather news says 20" in Seattle!  I'll take 40" of snow on the mountain as opposed to 20" in Seattle any day.

Forgot to mention that JB made hamburger buns yesterday.  Perfect taste and texture - like Kaiser rolls.  Yum!

The forecast calls for more snow tonight and into tomorrow but we had snow falling at 8:15 am this morning.  They must have got their am's and pm's mixed up. . .

I met the challenge and brought fire wood in.  Then I cleared off about half way up the back of the generator/battery shed roof with our metal rake.  Clearing it off wasn't the hard part.  It was packing the snow down with my feet so I wouldn't sink to my waist that really wore me out.

JB dug the vehicles out enough to run them each for a bit.  It had not stopped snowing and at 1:30 pm JB measured again.  We had another 1-1/4".

I have started reading Still Foolin' 'Em by Billy Crystal.  An autobiography that he wrote in 2013 when he turned 65, just as funny and real as he is.

After a nap, I was out to give the deer more corn.  I hope they appreciate the fact that I had to dig down with my gloved hands about three feet to find the pan.  Then I cleared the snow away from around it.  Not sure if they well be back any time soon though.  I also broke up the ice in the girls' water dish, which we have to do several times a day.

It never stopped snowing today, although it was a very fine snow with very tiny flakes that didn't drop much.  But, for the first time ever, I was growling instead of smiling while watching the snow fall.

Our high for the day was 14.  Feels like we haven't seen 20 in forever.

Larry got their SnowCat running and cleared the road from their place down to the pavement.  This evening Elsie said they planned to drive it up to Rose Camp this coming weekend and to give her a list of items she could buy for us.  I love these guys!

Tuesday 2/12. It is 8 and snowing (of course) this morning with 5" of more snow.  Since Saturday morning, I have had to get dressed as soon as I get up.  No more just throwing on a coat and hat over my dressing gown and jammies and pulling on my mucking boots to go out to feed the girls.  

It looks as though the snow is settling a bit finally.  The sides to the paths don't seem as high.

The snow stopped and the sun shone through the clouds around 9:30 am as I was talking to Sande.  They are getting heavy rains in Santa Rosa and lots of snow in the Sierras.  Our day had quickly warmed to 28 (according to the gauge on the living room window) and the snow was an on-again, off-again thing.  Huge snow bombs were falling off the trees.

I am basically going to take the day off, except for my daily chores.  I brought in wood, and just covered it with a towel to keep the snow off.  Worked perfectly JB trudged up to the panels and cleaned them off.  Then helped him clear out and uncover the generator we use to pump water into the cistern.  Had to shovel that out, too.

Just after lunch the first of the snow and ice slid off the south side of the roof with quite a roar.  Three more such episodes off the south and one off the north kept us awake and Dinga panting.  The long icicles that were hanging on the eaves are now punji stakes (see photo above).

I baked a pan of Toll House chocolate chip bar cookies, using coconut oil instead of butter.  Delicious!  Next time I think I will try half of each.

As we were eating dinner a breeze picked up and blew snow off the trees creating white-outs.  Probably added another foot to the snow on the ground.

Our high for the day was 22/28 and we received another 3/4" of snow, which brings our total since Friday to 48".  Enough already!

Wednesday 2/13. It is 20 and mostly cloudy this morning, but at least it is not snowing at the moment.

Thought for the day: Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons.  Empaths, Old Souls and Introverts

No comments:

Post a Comment