Sunday, November 27, 2011

November 28, 2011

Rainbow Sunday morning

Late Sunday Morning, after recording his weekly solar electric figures, JB walked up to the south ridge with the dogs.  I was still inside letting my hair dry when the phone rang.  JB's voice said, "There's a rainbow to the west.  Grab your camera."  So I did, and threw on my coat and boots.  Running outside, I hoped it was still there, as I have missed several shots of clouds and fog that he has seen.  As you can see above, I didn't miss this one.  Where does one find the words to describe a rainbow?  I give you this picture in lieu of adjectives.  (I could clearly see every band of color, but the violet on the right side did not show up in the photo.)

After lunch, JB went outside to hammer the bolts out of MAX's axle and hunt up the old ones.  He was able to do both, and re-installed the axle extender.  But that was it for working outside, as the temperature was up just past freezing which caused lots of wind with off and on rain.  The snow was melting off the roof, noisily dripping on the icy remains of our side berms.

One other thing I did on Saturday was to vacuum seal the 25 pound bag of gluten free old fashioned oats that I had ordered from Bob's Red Mill.  JB had picked it up on Friday, so relieved that he had the Jeep and not MAX. Twenty-five pounds will last about 13 to 14 months.  I seal it into 7 to 8 bags of 2 to 4 pounds each.

I posted a photo of our tipi in the snow the other day.  We had not intended to leave it up for the winter, but the time and weather got away from us.  We had been using most of the nice days to gather and cut fire wood, so when it first snowed, we still had not taken it down.  Actually we really had no container in which to store it.  Last year it was just in a couple large plastic yard bags and mice got into it.  They nibbled a couple small holes in the tipi, but fortunately they were near the bottom.

There were several other things we were unable to accomplish as planned this year, but nothing that can't wait til 2012.  Not exactly a project, but we haven't found any antlers yet this year either.  Of course there is still a chance that we may, and I am always keeping my eyes open for them.

Weatherwise, each year Up Here is different.  A confirmation of what Larry told us when we first moved to Rose Camp.  Last winter was the Year of the Wind, and this year may also earn that title, but with more snow.

Thought for the day: Less than fifteen per cent of the people do any original thinking on any subject. . .  The greatest torture in the world for most people is to think.   Luther Burbank

No comments:

Post a Comment