Monday, November 7, 2011

November 7, 2011

Sign should read:
No trespassing -
survivors will be prosecuted!
Going off Daylight Savings Time is one of the best days of the year.  JB decided to spend his extra hour sleeping and went to be early.  I wanted to stay up late and read, which I did.  The dogs, on the other hand, have a real problem adjusting.  Their breakfast and snack were okay as I have been pushing those out a little each day, however Jesse's clock just would not change for dinner.  I'm sure he thought we had forgotten them, until at 3:30 (which he just knew was 4:30) I said, "Let's go for our walk."  He jumped off the couch, tail wagging.  Thought for sure he would lead us on a forced march, but he didn't.  He was the first one back to the house, though.  It's kind of nice knowing that once we are back from our walk, we are in for dinner and the rest of the night.  We have been washing the dishes after breakfast for several weeks now, so the evenings are simply for relaxing, reading, writing, whatever.
RJ came for breakfast yesterday and we had German pancakes with peaches and brown sugar.  So good!  Then the guys played a game of cards while I went out to see if I could start the splitter.  It was only 16 when we got up, but it was a balmy 22 when I got outside.  The splitter does not do well in the cold weather and I couldn't get it started.  So the dogs and I when for a short hike.  After RJ left, JB got the splitter going but the hydraulic fluid was just too thick in the cold.  JB offered to split the wood by hand, and that's what we did.  He split and I stacked 4-1/2 wheel barrow loads of wood.  Half before lunch and half after.  My woodsman hubby!  We were done by 1:00pm and both of us relaxed for the rest of the day.  I sat on the north ridge for a little while, just enjoying the view.  JB baked some bread and read magazines.
I actually hesitated to write about JB splitting the wood by hand because I know that certain people who read my blog would be worried about him, but this is a diary and I want it to be a true account of our life Up Here.  How we really live, and sometimes blunder through.  Our challenges.  Our mistakes.  Our learning experiences.  Our simple joys, and sometimes overwhelming awe of this land.  How fortunate we know we are to live here.  We have both learned to take breaks and not physically overwork ourselves.  It can get a little frustrating at times, but quite often we surprise ourselves.  The breaks are mentally relaxing also.  I can get very cranky if I feel pressured into constantly working, even if it's not physically strenuous.  After all, I am retired.

I think I have mentioned previously that I am much more easy going now that we've been Up Here for more than three years.  There is time to think about that and life before Rose Camp.  I have come to realize that probably the main reason is that I have finally learned to pick my battles.  Not fight all the little things.  Let it go, and let it flow.  Within reason.  Until someone really pisses me off. . .

Today I am going Down There.  Not really looking forward to it, but I am going to the craft store.  I usually try to restrain myself, but there are a few items that I need.  Also going to my favorite thrift store to look for a couple things.  I should have time to leisurely browse, so that will be nice.

Thought for the day:  If I have to pull up my big girl panties and deal with it one more time, the elastic is going to break and I really will have to show my ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment