Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November 30, 2011

Rain in the mountains and canyon

What snow had melted has once again frozen, now into ice.  These periods that swing from freezing to rain and back again are just nasty.  Our Yaktraks are now a permanent part of our boots.  The ground is still mostly white, with just a few brown spots in the grove, the yard and on the driveway.  I love the white because even on the darkest, moonless nights, there is always light outside.  As if the snow were self illuminating.

Because of the weather, I stayed inside most of the last couple days.  I spent Monday designing our Christmas card and making the children's cards.  I was able to get a good start on on actually making some Christmas cards, but they are going to be more work than usual this year.  Good thing I've got another week to finish them.  JB isn't planning on going Down There again until December 7.  I also helped JB put the track back on MAX.  I got a little cranky as it wouldn't go on right away and I just wanted to be inside making cards. . .

On Tuesday, I wrapped more Christmas presents and packed another box to mail.  Just two more boxes to go, but I have to wait for items I've ordered before I can send them.  Everything should be there by the time JB picks up the mail again.  I also worked on the cards a bit and made the dog's chicken broth.

It's the end of November and we really haven't made much of a dent in the fire wood (thank goodness).  I have been using the smaller, stick wood as much as possible.  The mountain maple is fantastic!  It burns for hours, and must be as hard as apple wood.  We have never had any apple wood, but this being orchard country, it is available every year as old trees are cut down and new ones planted.  Larry and Elsie use it when they can get a good deal, but have told us you have to mix it in with other wood because it makes a lot of ash.

And speaking of the fire, it is always warmer in the loft than downstairs.  So when we are working upstairs for a while, we often forget that it may be getting chilly downstairs.  Chilly being less than 68.  Actually, sometimes it gets just too warm to be in the loft, but we haven't created the problem yet this winter.  I think we are finally learning how to keep a comfortable temperature and not blow ourselves out.

I really have to work on my relationship with my muse.  I am sure it is obvious that we don't always click.  She often leaves me floundering deep in the abyss of cliches and worn out adjectives.

Thought for the day:  I'm going to LIVE until I die.  Katie D.

No comments:

Post a Comment