Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sept 19, 2012 Thank You Firefighters!


Monday's sunset


Fire to the southwest Monday night















As of yesterday the fire was 25% contained and our canyon was reduced to a Level 2 Evacuation.  The inversion kept us smoked in all day, but this morning I can actually see the outline of the mountains.  Just barely, but it is the first time in ten days.  Proof that the rest of the world is still out there.  The smoke cleared out Up Here on Monday, but we could only see blue sky, not much of the planet itself.  However, even as I write this, the smoke is moving back in and the mountains are disappearing.

JB went Down There on Monday to pick up his chain saw that was being overhauled.  He is going to cut down a few of the smaller trees today that are near the house.  When the smoke is all gone, he youngest brother will come over from the west side and help us take down some of the larger ones.

The yellow jackets started swarming around the house on Monday.  Not too many yesterday because of the smoke, but they will probably be back today.

I cleared some brush and cut large, low branches off of two trees that still needed to be trimmed.  Then yesterday I went Down There to take the dogs to the vet for shots and ran a few errands.  Home by noon and not feeling well at all.  Thought for sure I was coming down with something but after sleeping all afternoon, I felt much better.  I think I slept off the effects of the smoke and stress.  I downloaded and organized all my photos from the week, then it was back to bed for a good night's sleep.

If my hair wasn't already grey, I'm sure it would be after this experience.  But I learned alot about myself and others.  Some good, some not so much.  I do know that I can no longer take the constant bombardment from TV, so we will not be getting a satellite dish.  Wouldn't get our money's worth.  I know that even though I seem calm, my eruption level is very low.  And you don't want to be around me when it happens. . .  I have absolutely no tolerance for stupidity or arrogance and I let it be known.  JB is much more calm on the outside, and I become a complete ditz.

I am so very gratefull to friends and family for all their support.  I know it was all their prayers that got us through this.

Thought for the day:  Everyone has his burden.  What counts is how you carry it.  Merle Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment