Monday, November 19, 2012

Nov 19, 2012 Where is the Sun?



"Thank goodness deer season is over!"


JB bringing a rain barrel up on MAX















Friday we were once again engulfed by fog with a high for the day of only 25.  An indoor day spent relaxing with new magazines, catalogues and our books.  Did the dishes and ran the well pump.  Another couple times and our cistern should be full again.  Hopefully our new washing machine will be working by then.  The service appointment is for 1:00 pm today.

I have finally started the third Lisbeth Salander book, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, that I bought months ago.  I waited until our here-for-the-season snow, knowing that it would be a hard book to put down, and I wanted more than just snippets of time during which to read it. 

Saturday we had light fog with a frozen rain falling most of the day.  JB dug out the creek bed that had been driven over.  I dug a trench from the north side of the house through the grove so the water would drain down the mountain.  The whole area needs to be graded with the rake next summer.  I wasn't sore that evening, but I definitely needed ibuprofen Sunday morning!  That was quite a chore.

I also worked on Christmas cards as I finally got this year's card designed.  We had to run the generator since we have had a complete lack of sun for a few days.  I can only use my embossing heater when the generator is running as it sucks too much power for not having any sun.  Actually now we have to run the generator every day.  So much for saving money on propane this year.

We had a nice lazy start to Sunday with our big breakfast and crossword puzzles.  There was no fog, but it was cloudy all day.  I worked on my Christmas cards again.  JB drove MAX down to get the card from the game cam as we haven't checked it in a couple weeks.  It was just too icy in the morning to walk down our steep driveway.  Even the dogs had problems.  We did have some good pictures though, especially the one of the deer I have posted above.

RJ called around noon to say he was Up Here for a few days.  So I quickly wrapped his and Mike's Christmas presents; stuffed them in my back pack; and headed on down to his cabin.  By then most of the icy snow had softened and I had no problems walking down the short cut.  We had a nice visit and RJ showed me everything he's been working on.  Just amazing!  He is tending to all the little details, now that most of the big projects have been taken care of.  He even built two sofa's in his living room and will put futon mattresses on them.  He hopes to make it up once more before Christmas.  It took me and the dogs about 40 minutes to make the mile climb back up to Rose Camp, whereas we had made it down in about half that time.  No gentle slope that short cut.

And speaking of catalogues, one of my favorites that I receive this time of the year is from the Victorian Trading Co.  It has items priced from $10 to $2000.  If I had the money, I could easily order something from every page and thoroughly enjoy them all.  Of course I'd need a much larger house and a completely different attitude towards "things."  Nevertheless, in another life. . .

Thought for the day: Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment