Monday, January 20, 2014

Jan 20, 2014 Frozen Clay & Aching Muscles


After 3 hours of chipping away.  Okay, 20 minutes.
It only seems like 3 hours.

My, what a lovely odor you've
discovered!















Friday 1/17.  Read magazines with my morning coffee.  Birds & Blooms and Home Power.  Actually I just skim Home Power and read Kathleen Jarschke-Schultze's article in the back.

We were out to start digging a little before 10:00 am.  And, as you can see by the photo above, it was very slow going in the frozen clay.  We worked till 11:30 then went in for lunch.  At 1:00 pm we trudged out again to chop on the clay some more.  After almost four hours we didn't seem to have much to show for all our effort.  We were able to open the little top to the second section and everything seems to be working fine in there.  As Han said in Star Wars, "My what a lovely odor you've discovered!"

It was definitely an ibuprofen night. . .

Saturday 1/18.  This morning dawned with a mostly light overcast, valley fog and 20 degrees.  Just couldn't get going as early as I had wanted to.  We are both sore, to say the least.  Got outside about 9:30 and worked a couple hours.

The fog tried to sneak up to Rose Camp around noon, but the sun had broken through the overcast and would have none of that.  Our high for the day was 26.

After chipping on the dirt for another four hours today, we finally found the inbound pipe.  It seems to be fine, with no leaking.  JB had to use the tractor to lift up the small top.  A little muddy water was was coming in the pipe and that side of the tank look okay also.   We will take tomorrow off, and on Monday I'll go down under the house and dig around with my trusty spade to see if anything is leaking there.  With the ground so frozen, we may just have to wait til Spring to figure this out as it looks like most of the water going down the pipe is getting into the tank.

Sunday 1/19.  It is 27 and overcast this morning with high valley fog.  As I said, we are taking today off.  Even if we hadn't planned to, our muscles would demand it.  With no sun to burn it off, the fog moved in from the canyon to the south about 11:30 am and stayed til mid afternoon.

Was so nice to just relax with my book after JB's yummy breakfast of eggs, polenta and toast.  We did the dishes late and then I had a burst of energy.  Must have been because I felt so much better after taking some ibuprofen.  So we moved a couple wood chests and an end table around in the great room, which I had been wanting to do for several months.  Makes it look bigger and I really like the change.  

Around 4:30, Larry drove up with our new neighbor from the canyon.  He is on the other side of the gate and not off the grid, and Larry was giving him the grand tour.  Was nice to have visitors.

Today is the one-year anniversary of my Uncle Jack's passing.  There are some things in life where time simply has no meaning  I can only hope that the Seahawks' game helps to distract my Aunt Nene.  I tried calling, but she wasn't home. 

Monday 1/20.  The sun is shining in a clear blue sky this morning and it is a chilly 22.  Not looking forward to climbing under the house, but that's just the way it goes Up Here.

Thought for the day: Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  Benjamin Spock   




No comments:

Post a Comment