Friday, January 24, 2014

Jan 24, 2014 Victory Dance!

A lake of fog, with islands, to our south.

Wednesday 1/22. The skies were clear first thing, but the clouds moved in slowly and by 3:00 pm it was overcast.  Our high for the day was 28.

We did a load of laundry and the dishes and a little water backed up into the bath tub.  So JB snaked the pipe in reverse - from the septic tank.  He found the problem about five feet in and soon the clog and water came rushing in.  Now it's time for a victory dance!

On top of that, Dinga's leg seems to be back to normal.  She's not limping at all any more.

I started another book that JB gave to me for Christmas, George Martin's fifth book in his Song of Ice and Fire series, A Dance of Dragons.  It is much thicker than the other, 959 pages, in a large paperback the size of a hardback.  

It took a while to sink in, that the pipe was finally clear.  What a weight off our shoulders!  I feel like I can finally get to other projects.  I haven't even been on the computer for Facebook and email much at all.

There was an article in yesterday's paper that Elsie emailed to me about the wolves.  They are back, in the same place they were last Spring, and were sighted by a deer carcass.  Probably not much to worry about as there is plenty of wildlife for them.  Nevertheless, we will be packing, as usual.

It was Downton Abbey night, and I am so tempted to watch two episodes but we want to make it last as long as possible.  Boy, are we hooked!

Thursday 1/23.  It was 24 with clear skies and low valley fog.  Looks like Larry and Elsie had some sun today.

Before lunch we covered the septic tank back up.  I broke up the chunks of clay with the pick ax and JB shoveled it all back where it belonged.  Then I brought in wood, and that was it for the day for me outside.  The antibiotics are upsetting my stomach a bit.  At least tomorrow is my last day on them.

I baked a banana coffee cake and read my book.  This is not a book that I can read for a few minutes here and there, I need at least a half an hour.  And it's going to take me weeks, not days, to finish it.

We are trying to determine where to put the outside part of the weather station that our son gave us for Christmas.  It needs to be on a pole with nothing over it and can be up to 300 feet from the house.  We don't need to put it that far away, but because of the metal siding, we may need a clear line of sight to the receiver.  Going to test that out.

When Larry checked in on the radio this evening, he said they had indeed got a lot of sun.  Their solar panels pulled in enough power so that they didn't have to run their generator this evening.  They usually do in the weeks that the sun is at it's most southern point as they are in the canyon and the sun doesn't shine down there for more than a couple hours during the day.  And, of course, with all the fog they've been having. . .

Friday 1/24.  JB left for Down There a few minutes after 8:00 am, going very slowly.  He called me on the radio when he got to our sign on the main canyon road.  That was pretty cool.

Thought for the day: The state remains, as it was in the beginning, the common enemy of all well-disposed, industrious and decent men. Upton Sinclair


No comments:

Post a Comment