Monday, January 27, 2014

Jan 27, 2014 Girls Rule!

Rimed landscape on the south ridge.
JB on our north ridge towards the end
of our walk on Sunday.















Friday 1/24. The fog in the canyon to the south was very persistent in attempting to creep up over the ridge and down into Rose Camp, but the sun beat it back at each attempt, and only a few light fingers of fog managed to rime the grass and trees around us more.

Finally able to do the laundry and dishes at the same time!  Woo hoo!  After that I had to get outside, so the dogs and I spent more than an hour on the south ridge and east slope.  I gathered a couple armloads of kindling and took them to the wood shed.  The dogs love it when one or both of us is outside, regardless of what we are doing.

On Thursday we had strung the wire for the radio from the loft down to my desk in the great room.  So much handier to have the radio there.  But today I was forced to sort through the pile of papers I had sitting on my desk.  I really need to get into the habit of filing things as soon as I have them.  There were items from 2011 in that pile. . .

JB was home by 3:00.  He still had the loaner SUV, which he parked at Larry & Elsie's, as the computer at the shop found that the reason the engine light came on in my Jeep was because of "misfiring".  They hadn't been able to make it happen again and the spark plugs seemed to be fine.  They will do some more testing and if the light doesn't come on again, we'll just get the Jeep back.  I know that engine lights can be very fickle, but I don't want to ignore it.

Saturday 1/25.  We stayed up late watching "Zero Dark Thirty" last night, which kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, so I slept in til 9:00 am today.  It was 12 degrees with fog when JB got up at 8:00 am, and we were fogged in the whole day with a high of 17.

It was a good day for reading the newspapers, magazines and mail.  JB worked some on my old computer, trying to clean it up, but that may be a lost cause.

We had an evening of "marbles" planned at Larry & Elsie's, so we left about 6:30 pm to drive down to their place.  The further down we got, the thicker the rime became, until we were in a scene right out of "Dr. Zhivago."  I felt like we should be riding in a horse-drawn sleigh.  It was phenomenal, and words simply fail me when it comes to describing it.  A dreamscape.  The trees sparkled in our headlights.  It was as if some giant had come through and over-flocked everything for Christmas.  Absolutely amazing!  And we saw a rabbit in its winter white, something I had never seen before.  On top of that we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening.  Girls beat the guys best two out of three games!!

The temperature at their place was 25 when we left and at Rose Camp it was 11.  Most of the fog had cleared out by then, but cold is cold.

Sunday 1/26.  Clear sky and valley fog this morning with a temperature of 12.  The fog quickly moved in though, until the sun began to burn it off around noon, the rime glistening in its rays.  Even with a sunny afternoon, our high was only 20 - and that was at 9:00 pm.

Another day to sleep in, for me at least.  JB got up with the dogs at 7:00 am, which was fortunate, as our son called at 7:30 am on his way home from picking up our granddaughter at a big sleep-over for the girls in her private school's class.  JB got to talk to her and hear all about it.  Both our son's children go to private school.  Jake says if you live in Alabama and can afford it, you definitely send your kids to private school.

And speaking of weird winter weather, Jake says Mobile, AL, was been warned of a possible two inches of snow on Tuesday, with more than a foot in Georgia!

Monday 1/27. It is foggy and 16 this morning.  There is snow in the forecast for this week.  I can only hope that NOAA is right this time.

Thought for the day: On the road of life, meet people where they are.  Accept who they are. . . And there are some folks that you need to leave where they are and keep walking. Dennis Linn




No comments:

Post a Comment