Wednesday, October 1, 2014

October 1, 2014 Where did September Go?!

The road on our Tuesday drive.




Monday 9/29.  We took today off in order to give our muscles a rest.  JB worked most of the afternoon on programming the frequencies into Larry's radio.  Unfortunately, in the middle of that, his computer froze up and set him back a bit. 

 I baked cookies.  A LOT of cookies.  If I am going to make the effort, I want it to count.  I tried something different today.  The recipe calls for 4-1/2 cups of GF flour and I usually use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF flour.  This time I made one of those cups white rice flour.  The cookies did turn out a little less flat, but I had to add some butter.  Actually, I think I like them better flat and crunchy.

Randy called this morning and both JB and I had a good chat with him.  He has split and stacked seven cords of wood and has two more to go!  I have been very remiss in answering emails and calls this month with the BBQ and all.

Our resident frogs were quite vocal today, and we were inside to listen to them most of the time.

Lots of clouds moved in by noon and the breeze picked up.  Our high for the day was 66, with a forecast for a cold front moving in.

I started Vince Flynn's second book, Transfer of Power.  If only there were real people like some of his characters.  I would like to think there are, but if so, where are they now?

Watched Quigley Down Under this evening.  Such a good movie!

Tuesday 9/30. It was 43 and partly cloudy this morning.  I put a fire in the stove at 4:30 am when the dogs went out.  JB stoked it up again when he got up at 7:30 am.  Had to put my capote on over my heavy dressing gown when I went out to feed the girls.  Brrrr!

JB cleaned out Miss Kitty's air filter and added more oil in the engine.  I limbed the top (and easiest part) of the tree we felled.  Haven't measured it yet, but I think it is close to 60 feet tall.  I counted the rings and it is about 74 years old.  I'm pretty sure it was the mistletoe that killed it and there are a couple small trees near it that need to be taken down also.

After lunch we went for a drive in Miss Kitty.  Her battery is a use-it-or-lose-it affair.  We finally explored a little-used road we had wanted to check out ever since we got Miss Kitty.  Drove up to see where a neighbor had built a lean-to.  Well, it is a lot more than just a lean-to.  More like a small cabin waiting for walls.

Larry and Elsie drove up this evening so Larry could pick up his radio and learn how to use it.  A nice, long visit.  Learned that Medicare has set 75 as the age to stop paying for many procedures.  So, basically, if you don't have money to pay for it or a supplement, you just go home to die.  When is this insanity going to end?!

Wednesday 10/1. It is 43 and clear this morning.  September slipped by so quickly, what with the BBQ and all.  JB is going Down There tomorrow for the annual health insurance meeting.  Can only imagine what surprises we will encounter for next year.

Thought for the day: Their power comes from our obedience. . . disobey.  Permaculture magazine, Autumn 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment