Friday, February 20, 2015

February 20, 2015 An Earthquake & An Editorial on Privacy

The roof we put over the nesting boxes.



Wednesday 2/18. A perfect day to go Down There.  The sun was shining and I took no laundry to do.  After getting a few groceries, I stopped by Larry and Elsie's shop to visit.  They asked if we had felt the earthquake last night, and then I knew that I hadn't been dreaming!  Having lived in the San Francisco Bay area for several years, I usually know an earthquake when I feel one.  We had indeed been woken up by a slight jolt.  It seems there had been a 4.5 earthquake due south of us about 80 miles.  Larry and Elsie, down in the canyon, felt it a lot more than we did Up Here on the top of solid rock.  It shook them a bit and caused their radio antenna on their house to whip back and forth as if in a big gust of wind.

After visiting them, it was on to the Wenatchee World to see about getting a letter to the editor published anonymously, regarding trespassers on private property.  I was told that if I gave them my name and phone number so they could verify it was me who wrote it, that they would publish it and withhold my name.  Great!

Then it was on to the local organization that is creating hiking/biking trails on public land in several areas around Wenatchee.  I had a very good talk with the person in charge (that began as a rant on my part) about trespassers who start out on their trails.  The group is planning to putting up a kiosk that firmly advises against straying onto private property.  I told him he should also put up "No Trespassing" signs along fences abutting their trails, and he seemed very receptive.  Again, great!

However, when I arrived home there was a message on my phone from the newspaper advising that they would not publish my letter without my name.  In this day and age, when we have all lost 98% of our privacy due to the internet, with just my name and very little effort, anyone could find out exactly where I live and even see a photo of it on Google.  At that point it occurred to me that what I should have done is give them my phone number and an assumed name.  Too late.

But, all in all, it was a very good and a very stimulating day.

Thursday 2/19.  It was 38 and overcast this morning with rain/snow in the forecast.

I was still pumped about my experience yesterday, and returned the call from the paper.  We had seen letters to the editor with (I thought) just e-mail addresses, so it seemed that would be a solution.  In talking to the woman at the paper, it seems they still need to publish a name.  I told her that my privacy is more important than having the letter published.  So I am publishing it here instead:


To all of you mountain bikers and hikers:

There are plenty of public trails and parks for you to enjoy.  Stay in them.  Many of the public Land Trust trails abut private land, so if you encounter a fence with a gate, this is not a welcome sign.  It indicates private property, so please respect that and stay out. 

We live on a private road on which we and our neighbors spend our own money and sweat to maintain without any public funds.  We build and maintain our own fences.  We get very few county or state perks where we live.  We are off the grid, maintain our own utilities, and are responsible for our own safety.  This is our land for which we paid our hard-earned money and on which we pay taxes.  Would you want uninvited strangers traipsing across your yard?  Jumping over your fence?  Entering your gate uninvited?  Just because our “yard” is larger, does not mean that it is any less private.  We certainly respect and would not invade your property.  Do the same for us.  We worked hard to be where we are.  We love our homes, our privacy and our rights, and we will protect them as most citizens would.

Before venturing out, you should know that in the Wenatchee area, you could be less than a mile from town and encounter a cougar, coyote, bear, or even a wolf, not to mention rattle snakes.  Better be prepared and know how to act.  Don’t blame anyone but yourself if you are attacked.   This is their land also.

A note specifically to the two “joggers” who entered our property Sunday morning, 2/15:  We are surrounded by thousands of acres of private land, as in NOT public.  To get to our place you would have had to go over/through several fences and gates.  What were you thinking?!

After lunch, we put the roof on the girls' nesting boxes.  They had already given us one egg for the day, so I figured it was safe.  When I feed them tomorrow morning, I will be able to tell where Blondie and Betty spent the night.  They can easily perch on the rail in front of the boxes.

I purchased some metal "Private Property and "Posted. Private Property. Hunting, fishing, trapping or trespassing for any purpose is strictly forbidden. Violators will be prosecuted" signs yesterday, so this afternoon I hiked up to the peak and put a "Posted" one on the tree by the gate to replace the plastic one that had broken in two.  This is where the "joggers" had entered.

The sky remained overcast all day until late afternoon when the sun peeked through and we had glimpses of blue sky.  Our high for the day was 40, and the ground was very soggy, muddy, mucky.  Have to wipe the doggies' paws every time they come back inside.  And, for the first time in several days, we had to use the generator and washed the dishes after dinner.

We watched the last three episodes of Castle, season six.  What kind of an ending was that?!  Shades of Downton Abbey!  Now I have to find a good deal on season seven as soon as possible.

Friday 2/20. This morning is 35 and with blue skies, except for over the mountains.  Today we are going to drive Miss Kitty down our road about two miles where a very large, dead mountain maple bush fell across our road.  When I went to town, I was able to clear just enough to drive around it, but we need a saw and two people to finish the job.  Going to be good fire wood though.

Thought for the day: I don't know how my story will end, but nowhere in my text will it read, "I gave up."  From Positive Outlooks Blog


1 comment:

  1. Re: private property & anonymity
    Loved your "letter to the editor"! I couldn't have said it better myself. I work in a position where I have to provide constant positive customer service despite the downright deplorable & crude attitudes of some of the "customers". So being on my property away from the rest of the world is a welcome heaven for me. Even though we have "private property" signs all over our fences & gates, for some reason most people don't think it applies to them if they don't see anyone around. I hope you have better luck with your signs! I cherish my privacy, so thanks for letting me post this comment anonymously!

    ReplyDelete