Monday, April 20, 2015

April 20, 2015 Deer, Hummingbirds & Musings From the Porch

On our Sunday walk, I saw our dinosaur with his
visiting cousin.

Our re-designed bird bath.











Friday 4/17. Musings from the porch: Sitting on the porch with my coffee and listening to the symphony of bird song.  No traffic.  No human commotion.  Just trees and grass and flowers and blue sky.  Yet some people wonder how we can live Up Here, while we wonder how they can live Down There.

Something else I notice Up Here is the position of the stars and how they change over the course of a year.  We could barely even see them when Down There with all the lights, let alone follow their movements.

Yesterday while sitting on my swing, I could have sworn I heard a wren.  Haven't seen him yet, but am so looking forward to it.  I love that feisty little song bird!

I enjoy getting magazines, especially now that subscriptions are so inexpensive.  One of my favorites is Redbook, just to keep up with the fashion trends.  Of course there's nothing "fashionable" about my current wardrobe, but I enjoy seeing what is out there, especially shoes.  If I could have afforded it, I might have been another Imelda Marcos.  I love shoes, and there are so many fantastic one out there now.  Well, maybe in another life. . .

The many varieties of hues of Spring greens are phenomenal.  Every species of plant and grass is different from all the others.  A rainbow of greens.  By summer they have melded into just a few more subtle, darker ones.

Enough musing - on with the day.  I had been working on a new arrangement for our living room in my mind for several days and finally came up with one I thought might work.  So we spent the rest of the morning re-arranging the furniture and chasing rabid dust bunnies.  Got very frustrated because I could not find a place for one of my favorite wooden chests, a hand-made one that we used to use when Rendezvousing.  So I'm sitting there pouting until the idea popped into my head to just give it away.  Then all was well.  Our living room actually seems much larger now.

After lunch I helped JB with the chipping.  We finished the first pile and got about 1/3 through the second one.  Chipping is a very long process.  And JB somehow tweaked his back bending and twisting.  Was definitely an ibuprofen night.

Saturday 4/18. It was 44 and clear this morning.  Another gorgeous Spring day.

We have been seeing a lot more deer lately, all over the place.  And today I saw our first hummingbird, which has got to be about two months early.  We'll go broke if I start feeding them now!

JB just took it easy today as his back was still pretty sore.  Larry and Elsie were going to a wedding this evening, so I went down to feed the dogs and cats, and let them out.  I left about 2:30 pm as I wanted drop the wooden chest off at the Gridder's, and check the mail.  I figured theirs would be a great home for the chest, and I was right.  After picking up the mail, I drove back up to Larry and Elsie's and fed all the four-legged critters.  Was going to stay a while, but after about a half an hour, their big dog decided it was time for me to leave so they could get their dessert.  I always give them a treat when I leave, and I am sure that is why they are always so glad to see me.

It was quite warm down in the canyon.  Larry and Elsie's thermometer read 78 in the sun!  I got back home at about 4:45 pm and our high was 60.  On the drive back up I saw a herd of about 7-8 deer, possibly the same one we had seen down by the gate.  Still no bear sighting though.  And of course there were all those balsam root flowers and lupine, but I think I have probably written enough about them.  Or not.

Still watching two or three episodes of season five of Vampire Diaries every night.

Sunday 4/19. This morning was 45 and clear.  Called Sandy for a nice, long chat, then had a nice big breakfast and a leisurely morning.  Then before lunch, the dogs and I headed out on a hike.  We just moseyed on down the road to the wood spirit.  Warm sun, cool breeze.  Just perfect.  It was about a mile and a half round trip, with the return trip all up hill.  I really enjoyed it and really need to get out more often.

When we returned home, JB was chipping.  So after eating an orange, I helped him.  We finished the second pile of little branches and got about 2/3 through the third pile.  Two more big ones to go.

I also set up our bird bath, but re-designed it for less water.  With a small pan of water, it will be easier to clean more often.  Then I got to pull a tick off of Dinga that JB found.

Mid afternoon we both took shipboard showers.  Just turn on the shower to get wet.  Turn the water off.  Lather up and wash.  Then turn the water back on to rinse off.  Sponge baths are fine for keeping clean, but there's just nothing like a shower.

Our high for the day was 60 again.  I can only hope this early warm weather is not an indication of a hot summer. . .

I keep forgetting to note what a great salve Egyptian Magic is for scrapes, cuts and burns.  It seems to cut their healing time in half.

This was the first night this year that we did not need a fire in the wood stove.  That's the only thing about warmer weather, I do not like giving up our morning and evening fires.  I do so enjoy them.

Monday 4/20. It is 50 and clear this morning with rain in the forecast for Wednesday.  We will probably go Down There tomorrow to buy supplies for the girls' extended run and the wood cradle.

Thought for the day: In Spring at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt. Margaret Atwood

No comments:

Post a Comment