Monday, April 6, 2015

April 6, 2014 Splitting Wood, Nostalgia, & A Very Happy Easter

More early Spring wild flowers




Friday 4/3. Overcast began forming and all the blue sky disappeared by noon.

I was outside right after lunch to start splitting wood.  I managed to get three tractor bucket loads split, using only the wood from the trees we felled last Fall.  JB drove them over to the wood shed and I stacked them.  Then it was time for a nice little nap.

By the time of our afternoon walk, a wall of snow was approaching, but it never arrived.  Just blew on to the north.  Our high for the day was 43.

Regarding those hikers we had come onto our land several weeks ago, it seems that there is a hiking/trail app available, originating in Montana, which indicates that much of our neighbor's land to the south and east, and some of ours is public land.  Just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read, digital or printed.

Larry and Elsie are seeing wild turkeys around their house now, in addition to the three bears.  We have a lot of grouse Up Here, but haven't seen any turkeys yet, or bears.

Saturday 4/4. Another clear, frosty morning with a temp of 32.  I sat on the porch with my coffee and notebook, all wrapped up in my wool capote.  I love starting the morning this way.

JB did our taxes.  I did more sorting and throwing.  My donation bag is growing and so is the available shelf space in the loft.

I split and stacked four tractor bucket loads of wood this afternoon, using all the wood from last Fall and two rounds from the new trees.

It's amazing how we are so aware to the daily position of the sun Up Here, and how it is constantly moving north or south during the year.  With our busy lives Down There, it's something that we just were not consciously aware of.  So much noise and bustle grabbing for our attention.  Mother Nature has our full attention now.

Another wall of snow approached from the southwest while I was splitting.  Falling snow finally managed to reach us a little after 2:00 pm, but only lasted about 15 minutes.  Another shower arrived just as I was almost finished stacking the wood at about 3:00 pm.  It also was over in about 15 minutes.  After that the sun came out and the rest of the snow continued east to the north and south of us.

Musings while on the porch: I have visited large cities on vacations and business trips: New York, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Baltimore, New Orleans, London, etc.  I have lived in the suburbs of large cities: Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, and Esfahan, Iran.  I have enjoyed and been fascinated by all the culture they have to offer.  I have explored their historical sites with great ardor.  And I am so very grateful to have had the opportunity to do so, especially the castles and cathedrals of London, the Art Museum of Chicago, the Smithsonian Institute and all the other national sites of Washington D.C.  But at this stage of my life, the mountains and forests of my youth have called me back to where I belong.  I need the natural sounds, and smells, and quiet that Mother Nature has to offer.

My Dad was quite the Washington and Oregon history buff, so I have several of his books on the subject.  Writing the above paragraph made me a bit nostalgic, so I got one out to look at: The Look of Old Time Washington, published in 1971.  Lots of great photos and memories, with several barns and buildings that I know are no longer in existence.

Easter Sunday 4/5. Another beautiful morning with a temp of 32 and some thin clouds that soon formed a thick overcast.

I baked a banana coffee cake to take with us.  JB made a ham and cheese omelette for our Easter breakfast.  Then he took the sand bags out of Miss Kitty, which we will dump in the horse shoe pits.  We got cleaned up and left for dinner at the Gridders at 12:45 pm.  The balsam root blooms have exploded all over the hillsides!  We even saw some lupine in bloom.  Mother Nature is putting on quite a show this year.

We had a wonderful time and got to meet all of the Gridder's family.  New friends, great conversation and delicious food.  Even an Easter egg hunt.  Couldn't ask for a better day.

We filled up all our water containers and were home by 5:45 pm.

Monday 4/6. It is 32 and snowing this morning.  The ground is already white with at least 1/4".  Going to be a stay-inside-by-the-fire day.

Thought for the day: You can see God's signature everywhere around you once you learn to recognize His handwriting. Carol Harrington Brock, April Guideposts

No comments:

Post a Comment