Monday, December 14, 2015

December 14, 2015 More Snow, Tracks on MAX & Falling Stars

Putting the tracks on MAX - 1 . . .
. . .2 . . .
. . . 3!!











Friday 12/11. All three girls (hens) are sleeping in the nesting boxes most nights.  Sometimes Belinda will sleep on the bottom rung of their roosting ladder.  They are finishing their oatmeal every morning now, and when I pour hot water in their bowl to melt the ice, Blondie comes running to drink it while it is still warm.

Yesterday JB used the snow blower and shovel to clear the paths.  I put up about half of the Christmas decorations.

Mmmm.  This morning I had eggnog in my coffee and a newspaper to read while I sipped it.  Perfect!

After that treat, I printed out our Christmas letter.  I will also make some cards for those friends and family whom I know read my blog.

After lunch we finally put the tracks on MAX.  In order to save our marriage, we have an agreement that anything we say during this process doesn't count.  We simply forget it and get on with life.  And today was not one of the easier times doing this.  We have to suck the air out of four of the tires (with a shop vac) and try to get them into a square shape which makes it so much easier to get the tracks on.  Today one of them was a triangle.  Not fun.  The whole process took about 2-1/2 hours.  But from now on, this WILL be done the first week in October. . .

JB then drove MAX up and around the south ridge successfully, finding just one broken cleat that will have to be removed.

During our conversation with Elsie this evening, we learned that a bobcat got one of their chickens last night.  Then this morning they found some LARGE cougar tracks in their yard.  Oh, goodie!

Saturday 12/12. This morning was 28 and overcast, and another inch of snow fell during the night.

I finished putting up the decorations, including our little metal tree which we refer to as our Suzann tree, as my cousin (Suzann) made most of the decorations for it.  Then I worked on the children's Christmas cards which is always so much fun.  Also got the adults' cards partially addressed.

JB left to groom our road in MAX a little after noon, just as snow began to fall.  It only took about an hour as Buster's owner had plowed the main road.  By mid afternoon it looked like we had at least three more inches and it was still coming down.

I had a nice chat with my friend, Jane, this afternoon.  They live in N. Carolina and her husband was out playing golf yesterday in 69-degree weather!

Our high for the day was 30, but at 10:00 pm a wind had picked up and the temp had risen to 32.  The wind blew all night, not hard, just noisy.

Sunday 12/13. It was 30, partly cloudy and still windy this morning.  Neither of us had much sleep as Buster decided to come for a visit at 1:15 AM!  I got up and put in a fire, but didn't let our dogs out.  After about a half an hour, I took them out on leashes so they could pee.  Then I went back to bed, but JB got up because the dogs were wound up, especially Dinga because she doesn't like the wind.  He ended up sleeping on the couch.

After breakfast, JB trudged up to check the solar panels but the wind had kept most of the snow off of them.  He measured the snowfall and we had received another 4-12" in the past 24 hours.  He used the snow blower to once again clear the paths, and then drove MAX up and around the south ridge and down to our hair pin.  He plans to do the road again tomorrow.

I spent the day addressing Christmas cards and making some more.  Also spent a little time on the computer.

The wind has flattened and sculpted the snow, like icing on a cake.  We no longer see or walk on the ground.  On most of the paths, we are walking on several inches of snow.

Elsie told us that they lost another hen to the bobcat Saturday night.  It had pulled the wood away from the little door to the hen house. Part of their pen does not have a top, so yesterday they fixed that so there is no way the cat can get in now.

Monday 12/14. It is 28, partly cloudy and windy this morning.  I set my alarm for 1:45 am so I could get up and watch the meteor shower.  I got up only to discover that I had fallen back to sleep and it was now 2:45 am.  I watched for a while and was able to see three falling stars.  I'm not much of a star gazer, but meteors, or falling stars, have always fascinated me.

Thought for the day: The biggest mistake you can make in life is always being afraid you'll make a mistake.  Nancy Polley

No comments:

Post a Comment