Monday, September 25, 2017

September 25, 2017 A Trip Down There & A Busy Weekend

Woo Hoo!!
Baby bull snake
Jesse back in his favorite
cold-weather place.











Friday 9/22. It seems like every time we go to work on Miss Kitty, we need another tool.  So JB made a trip down there to get it.

I baked cookies from a recipe in my 1961 homemade cookbook.  They turned out okay, but I used butter instead of margarine, and I think they really needed margarine.  Will try that next time.

I also gathered three basket-loads of kindling and stacked it.

JB discovered two baby bull snakes (snakelets?) near the south horseshoe pit.  They are so cute!

Saturday 9/23. It was 46 and mostly cloudy this morning.  At least it is getting a bit warmer.

We went down to work on Miss Kitty and decided to make a spur of the moment trip Down There.  But this time we took the trailer and filled it with our paper and cardboard recycle, and put all the empty gas cans in the back of the Jeep.  Our first stop was the place we had Miss Kitty repaired so JB could talk to the parts guy.  Now we know the parts we need and he reassured us that we would not need any more special tools.

We then dumped the recycle and filled five gas cans with ethanol-free gas and two with diesel.  And were on our way home.

The temperature got into the low 70's in town and our high Up Here was 66.

Larry was out for an evening drive (as he often is), and popped in to take a look at Miss Kitty and visit.  A nice surprise!

Sunday 9/24. It was 46 with clear skies this morning, but a light overcast soon formed.  Still a very nice day and the sky was clear again by dinner time.

JB cut down two small but tall dead pine trees and one green fir leaner on the east slope.  We dragged them down with his jeep.  The fir tree was infested with ants at the bottom, so it would have been dead by next year.  I limbed the fir of all but seven branches with my clippers, then JB took the big ones off with the chain saw.

After lunch JB cut a big pile of too-long pieces with his chop saw while I toted the wood in and out of the shop.  I loaded the cut pieces in the tractor bucket and JB took them to the porch in one huge load where I stacked them.  Almost have that first row done.  Then I started gathering kindling for the porch while JB took a nap.

I check for the baby snakes each day and usually see one.  In the photo above, it is going down into a small hole, which I assume is its "home".

It was another beautiful day with a high of 63.

Monday 9/25. It is 50 and overcast this morning.  I can see that the first snow on the mountains has already melted.

Thought for the day: I tried acting my age once.  It was boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment