Monday, July 23, 2018

July 23, 2018 Blueberries & Fixing The Flash Water Heater

A rare photo of the elf
living in our grove!
Our tomatoes are finally
starting to ripen.

















Friday 7/20. I put laundry in to wash and was on my way to pick blueberries a little before 9:00 am.  I spent about two hours picking and brought back maybe five pounds.  While I was gone, JB hung out the wash.  What a guy!

On my way back up the mountain, I saw a small bear cub running up the side.  So cute, but it happened too quickly to get a picture.  Didn't see mama bear.

After lunch it was definitely time for a nap, and then reading a book.  After dinner I snipped some of the pine branches into kindling and gathered two bags of needles.

It was a very nice summer day with a breeze and a high of 76.

Saturday 7/21. It was 48 and clear this morning.  Love the cool morning air!

I canned seven pints of blueberries, planning to make things with them later on, but kept out enough to make blueberry crisp for Monday.  JB's brother and nephew will be up for the day.  This is the nephew who was unable to make it up for the Fourth.

I was quite disappointed the way the blueberries turned out.  Don't know what I was expecting, but from now on will can pie filling or jam.

After lunch we worked on re-doing the "root cellar".  JB used the tractor to pull out the wood and dirt from in front of the refrigerator.  We plan to pull the fridge out and set it upright, using dirt and tires to cover it, but nothing in front of the door.

After dinner we sat out on the porch for a while and were stunned by the number of humming birds!  There had to be at least twenty or more fighting for a place at either of the feeders.  They looked and sounded like a swarm of bumble bees.

It was another perfect day with a breeze and a high of 76.

Sunday 7/22. It was 56 and clear this morning.  Getting warmer as predicted.

When I got up at 1:30 am to let the dogs out, I noticed that the pilot light on our flash hot-water heater was out.  I was unable to get it to stay lit, so I just turned off the propane to it.  After breakfast we got the manual out and found that we had to take out the pilot light propane tube, then soak it in carburetor cleaner for 30 minutes.  We finally got the tube out and JB drove Down There for the carburetor cleaner.  

While he was gone, I cleaned out the water filter on the hot-water heater.  Then spent the rest of the time doing lots of little things.  Things that only take ten to twenty minutes, but just never seem to get done.  Boy, that felt good.

My PVC's decreased considerably today, leaving me with much more energy.  Will definitely be watching my caffeine intake from now on.

JB was back at Rose Camp in about 2-1/2 hours, mainly because he stopped to talk to people in the canyon.  We soaked the tube and got it re-installed.  After a couple tries, JB had the pilot light going with a nice blue flame like it is supposed to have.  So glad we will be able to have hot showers in the morning.

It was a bit warmer today with a high of 78 and very little breeze.

Monday 7/23. It is 64 with clear skies this morning.  Going to be a hot one.

Thought for the day: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously.  Dave Barry


No comments:

Post a Comment