Monday, July 9, 2018

July 9, 2018 A Fire & More Guests

The fire on Thursday.



Friday 7/6. We brought in the long ladder in order to clean off one of the trusses.  It looked like some bug had got up there and chewed on it a bit, so I sprayed and cleaned up  the sawdust.  Wasn't an awful lot but just enough that when we opened the window and there was a breeze, it knocked it down on the couch.  Such a mess, and had to vaccuum when we were done.

The woodchucks have been doing a lot of remodeling on the wood pile.  There are branches sticking out all over and several obvious doors.  

I took a nap after lunch.  Have I mentioned how much I enjoy my naps?  When I got up, JB was listening to the fire channel on the radio.  They mentioned that a tanker was due in in ten minutes, so I went out to the north ridge to watch.  I heard the tanker coming in from the east, then was able to watch it drop its load of red fire suppressant.  Far away, but pretty cool!

Got things ready for another of JB's nephews who is coming to visit for the weekend with his ten-year-old son.  Thank goodness we have food left over from the 4th.

Saturday 7/7. It was 60 and partly cloudy this morning, but the sky soon cleared.  Our guests arrived around 2:00 pm which was a bit later than planned, but he had zoned out and missed the turn-off on I90!

They helped up put up the tipi so they could sleep in it.  Then we barbecued hamburgers on the grill and made s'mores over the campfire.  A very good day, with a high of 72.

Sunday 7/8. It was 52 and clear this morning.  JB made pancakes and eggs for our breakfast, then I showed them how the splitter worked.  We hiked up to the peak and just generally enjoyed each other's company.  They left at 3:00 pm after sad goodbyes.

They announced on the radio that the fire was 11% contained, but it sure looked more than that.  I have never understood how they arrive at those figures.

It was a bit warmer today with a high of 76, but there was a lovely cool breeze.

Monday 7/9. It is 62 with clear skies this morning.  I plan to drive down in Miss Kitty to check the mail and visit with Mrs. Gridder and Elsie.  Last night Elsie was making cherry jam and pie filling with cherries from her tree.  She invited me to pick some, so I might just do that.

Thought for the day: If you do not take an interest in the affairs of your government, then you are doomed to live under the rule of fools.  Plato


No comments:

Post a Comment