Thursday, July 7, 2011

Then: August 2009 Now: July 7, 2011

Woohoo!!
Then: August 2009


I meet our family guests in town at 10:00 a.m. on August 1. My Aunt Nene and Uncle John will be spending the night in a motel, rather than on the ground in the tipi.  Just can't understand that.  My cousins, Ann and Jeff, along with Jeff's daughter, Lisa, will be sleeping in the tipi but we actually do have cots for them. We arrive at Rose Camp with all guests wide-eyed from the drive up. RJ and Mike come up and after lunch we spend the afternoon walking the paths, riding MAX, cooling off with squirt guns. Generally having fun. Aunt Nene is really quite thrilled to finally be Up Here and says it reminds her of the ranch she and my Dad grew up on in Spokane Valley, especially the wild roses as they had a lot of them there also.

Late afternoon we all go down to RJ's cabin so Nene and John can see it. Take lots of pictures. Then I drive them back to town while everyone else goes back up to Rose Camp. When I get back, we have a late dinner, sit on the porch talking and watching the bats eat all the bugs.

Sunday morning we are up for an 8:00 am breakfast and then go down to RJ's for target practice. Lisa gets her picture taken with one of RJ's rifles and immediately posts it on her Facebook page! Rather incongruous to be in this primitive setting and have such new technology. I guess I'm just getting old.
We have to have them all back to town at 1:00 pm, but it has been great fun. And I am especially glad that my Aunt was able to come to Rose Camp.

We spend the rest of the month cutting and splitting wood, along with some chipping. Have to take the chain saw blades to be sharpened when we go to town. Also, we now have the transformer and will schedule the electrician to come back up and get that installed once we get the pumps wired into their control box in the house.

Larry and Elsie are taking a three day weekend and I am going to take care of the chickens and water their garden and yard. The best part of this is that I get to use Elsie's ATV to drive back and forth to their house! They can't even leave for a night without someone to take care of their place, so I am really glad we can do this for them, with everything they have done for us.

RJ is installing our inbound copper water pipes. Thank goodness! He has done this before and knows how to solder them all together. He has to do all this in the crawl space under the house. Ideally we should have had it done before the floor went in, but that just couldn't be scheduled. He actually got the whole thing done in a week. Thank you. Thank you, RJ! Wow, our house Up Here is getting to be more and more like one Down There.

In May we had run the hose from the hydrant through the bathroom window and to the washing machine. Yippee! Can't believe I didn't mention that when writing about June. Unfortunately, in mid-August the final spin wouldn't work. We got a repairman up on the 31st and he ordered a part which he will bring up and install on September 9. I can't wait.

Today: July 7, 2011

Yesterday the temperature climbed to 79 to become the hottest day so far. Anything above 75 is just too hot for me, so once again I did mainly inside chores. Had to reorganize the loft storage area as we had taken things out for the weekend. Got that done before the heat set in. It really gets warm up there. Did another load of wash and hung it out. After lunch I drove down with the dogs to visit RJ and Mike. They will be leaving this morning, but RJ will be back in a week to see our cousin, Rick, and his wife, Maureen.

The wrens are gone, and, again, I didn't get to see them leave. They were here Tuesday morning when JB left, but later in the day they had left. It's very quiet without them flying around and chattering. Actually it's REALLY quiet considering all the activity of the weekend.

The first thing JB did when he got to the other side of the mountains is get a hair cut. I always cut his hair, but it does tend to get long. He figured he would fit in better with the Flatlanders with a shorter cut. Trying to get him to grow a pony tail, but if you knew JB you would know that will never happen.

Dinga is outside barking right now. I think she is near sighted and Jesse is far sighted. A moving branch will get her started, where as if Jesse barks you know he has actually seen something. If he is inside while she is outside barking, he listens without getting up until a certain bark will make him jump down and run for the door. The first time he did that, he actually ran into the door! Hasn't done that since.

I wouldn't trade this life for any other, but I will admit I have my moments of being overwhelmed. We really got beat up with the rain this Spring and have to figure out our drainage problem. When JB gets back we have to get started on cutting wood, besides finishing the deck/shop. Yesterday evening when the wood pile was in the shade, I cut some branch wood, but there is so much more to do. Those moments don't last for very long though and then I am back to being Wild Rose and confident that, as my Mom always used to say, it'll all work out for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment