Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Then: February 2010 Now: July 19, 2011


Our home in the snow


Fixing MAX
 













Then: February 2010
The first week of February is looking no different from the whole month of January - snow and fog, more snow and more fog. JB has been driving MAX down the road and back every other day or so, and the dogs usually go with him. I haven’t been going lately. Too many things to do inside. When he came back from his second trip on February 6, he drove up and around the south ridge to pack down our path. Coming back down to the house, the right track came off which was caused by a broken rear axle. Wow! We made it all the way to February. Last year I think we had two broken axles by now (didn’t mention the second one when writing about last winter). Well, it’s Saturday so he can’t order the parts until Monday. This time he is going to order two of everything.

On Sunday, 1/7, it warmed up to 32. It sounded like it was raining with all the snow melting off all the trees. Got some organizing done inside along with the normal chores. We have spent so much time lately dealing with the snow that being inside is a treat, especially for JB who won't be able to drive MAX for a while.

Last time JB went Down There, he bought a garbage disposal for the kitchen sink. One more tiny bit of civilization. He has been working on the wiring for it and on 2/12 he installed the disposal. But it wouldn’t work. Took a day off to try to figure out the problem, which he did, and on 1/13 we had a working garbage disposal! I love it! It’s good for the septic system too to have all that extra food bacteria.

I have been working on sorting my digital photos and genealogy information. Both sides of my family have copious records of family history. In the past 10-15 years I have been working off and on trying to get it all in a computer program. I have also scanned many of our old family photographs into the computer and put them on discs for family members. Still trying to get them all organized. It is great to finally have the time to really get into it. I love being retired!

On the 15th I left at 9:00 a.m. to hike down the road to check the mail. I was expecting some papers for a new medical insurance plan. I took Dinga and we had a delightful hike down in the snow. When I got to my Jeep at Larry’s and Elsie’s, I drove it down the last mile to the pavement and the mail box. No insurance information. Lovely. Drove back up and parked the car. Larry offered to drive me back up to Rose Camp, but I declined saying that I needed the exercise. How stupid was that! By the time I was half way up, I was cursing my independent streak. Dinga was having a great time and I was forcing myself to enjoy the scenery. Got back home with aching glutes and shoulders.

Larry brought up the parts for MAX on the 2/19, bless him! We’re getting to be old hands at fixing the axles, even in the cold and snow. This year at least we had the car port as shelter to work in. However, because the carport cannot support any snow load, every time it snows - day or night - we have to go out and "bounce" the snow off from the inside. We use a pole with a soft, round end, and if it is snowing when we go to bed, we set the alarm to get up and check the car port every few hours. But we actually had a full week of sun from the 16th through the 22nd. We got MAX fixed in no time and JB was able to go to town on the 22nd. In our more than three-weeks worth of mail I finally received my insurance information, so JB had to go Down There again on 2/25 to mail my payment and forms. For 18 months since JB retired I had been on COBRA from his company. It was a real nightmare to go out and get insurance on my own with no employer involved. JB is on medicare and a supplement. Much easier to deal with.

Towards the end of the month we find out that our son will be going to Iraq in mid-March for 14 to 30 days. At least he has a Facebook page. So very different from when JB was in Viet Nam. Same worries, but lots more communication.

Now: July 19, 2011

Today I will be going Down There for the mail, a few groceries and to pick up my boot that has been repaired. I’ve been wearing my old hiking boots that are not nearly as comfortable as my well-broken-in work boots. It is breezy this morning with dark clouds moving in from the south. Our weather usually comes in from the west or southwest and then I can see it coming, but when it comes in from the south my view is blocked by the trees and south ridge. I have to walk up to the top of the ridge if I want to see what’s happening. A little rain won’t keep me from driving Down There. Just means it will be nice and cool.

A quick note regarding my health insurance.  Once our President's Health Bill kicked in, my rates went up and my coverage went down.  Don't get me started. . .

Yesterday was partly cloudy and warmer. Got a load of wash done. Cooked a large pot of broth with four chicken thighs for the dogs. They get fed twice a day, morning and evening. I put a couple tablespoons of broth on their dry food along with pieces of chicken and carrots. When we have bacon, I always save the grease for them and put some "bacon juice" on their breakfast. No they are not spoiled, just well fed. When we had our Greyhounds, people were always saying that when they died they wanted to come back as our dogs. What can I say? I’m an empty nester. I always told our son that it took four Greyhounds to fill the empty space he left.

After lunch I cut four more wheelbarrow loads of branch wood. Two for the wood shed and two for the splitter. I am sure that by now, with all this exercise, I have gotten rid of my winter weight. My pants are fitting much better. Every winter I tend to gain a few pounds - a little less activity and a lot more eating.

I took a short nap and then the dogs and I hiked down the road to the Wood Spirit. The lupine and sweet peas are fading, but there are some scattered patches of them left. The roses are still out in full force with their heady scent, and the paintbrush is everywhere with its brilliant red tips. And now the fire weed is starting to bloom. It a dark pink flower on a tall stalk, and in the Fall its leaves turn bright orange and red. There is also a purple flower with little trumpets on its stem. Haven’t identified that one yet. But, needless to say, it was an incredible hike with all the dazzling colors.

Talked to JB in the morning. I had looked at the calendar wrong, and he will be home tomorrow, not Thursday. Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment