Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Then: The Rest of February 2010 Now: July 20 2011


Tipi in the snow


Austin & JB arriving on MAX
 
Then: The Rest of February 2010

JB's nephew, Austin, visited us the last weekend of February. The day before he arrived, we received 9" of snow! He drove his car about a mile and a quarter up the road and parked it. JB took him in MAX from there, and that alone, according to Austin, was worth the trip over. Other than seeing us, of course. But the whole weekend was fun. Catching up. Traipsing around in the snow. Sleeping in the tipi. He, his wife and son, Adam, will be up for our Fourth of July get-together this summer.

When JB arrived back from taking Austin down to his car, we realized that MAX had another broken axle. Thank goodness we ordered extra parts last time. There is obviously something about this vehicle that we do not understand. The next day JB spent more than an hour on the phone with Recreatives and we think he has the answer. The tires have too much air in them, which puts too much pressure on the axles. I guess we'll see.

In February we made plans for more guests this year. My BFF will finally be here in May. She and another friend, Donna, are driving up from California to see us and her friends relatives in Seattle. Donna is looking forward to sleeping in the tipi, so she and I will sleep there and Sandy will sleep on the couch. No camper this city girl. I'm lucky enough just to get her up on the mountain.

JB's son from his first marriage, Chris, will be here the first week of June for a couple days. He will be spending time in Seattle with the rest of the family too. So now we have these visits to look forward to and prepare for.

We have been hearing from our son, Jake, that the East coast is getting pounded with snow storms. They received almost six feet of snow and he missed four days of work. Have been checking the internet for news on this since he told us about it. He is getting ready for his deployment in a few weeks. Brings back so many memories that neither JB nor I wanted to relive. War sucks. And as far as I am concerned, Iraq and Afghanistan are just another Viet Nam. Don't get me started. . .

Now: July 20, 2011

The dogs and I had a good trip Down There yesterday. The dark clouds finally came through with their threat of rain, and it was sprinkling when we left about 9:30 a.m. At least it was cool enough to take them with me and leave them in the car while I shopped. They usually do not get to go to town in the summer because of the heat. Rain in July is almost unheard of here. When I check NOAA each day, they always announce the daily high which is running 12 to 18 degrees below normal. I hate to admit it, but as long as it isn't downpours, I'd rather have cool and damp as opposed to hot and dry. Much less chance of fires. And sunburn. The skies cleared in the afternoon and the clouds had all but disappeared by the time the sun went down.

I did not feel organized when I left for Down There, and, sure enough, I forgot the letters to mail and my cell phone. JB usually serves as my memory chip in such matters. Sometimes I think I have the short term memory of a goldfish. (And so does JB.)

After my posting yesterday, I should probably explain how we get our mail. We rent a mail box at the UPS store in town for most of it, which gives us a street address. We also have a mail box on the pavement at the end of the dirt road. We just give out that address for official business and bills. The box on the pavement is very small, but the UPS store has lots of room for when we don't get Down There for 3 or 4 weeks at a time.

When writing about the wild flowers yesterday, I neglected to mention the Yarrow. Its little white clusters of blossoms are everywhere, including ringing our yard. I also did not correctly describe the Fire Weed. It is actually a long stem on which there are many blooms. (See photo below.)

I really believe that our life up on the mountain is a cure for just about everything, mental or physical. We certainly are more in touch with Mother Nature, but just as important, we are out of reach of the constant blare of modern life. It's not just that we don't have TV, we are away from the hustle and bustle. We are allowed to be just us, without the demands of modern corporate America. When we first moved Up Here, I had a lot of aches and pains that I simply accepted as having to do with my age. So did JB. Most of those have disappeared now. My shoulder is no longer sore. Stress doesn't settle in my upper back. The arthritis in my fingers does not pain me nearly as much. JB seems to be completely rid of his gout attacks, and other pains he would wake up with in the morning. He does not snore like he used to. We just feel better. I am sure that some of it has to do with being retired, but that in itself can be stressful Down There. Rose Camp, the Answer to all of what Ails You. Hmmm. Now if I was Down There, I'd say that sounds like a great marketing campaign. . .

Fireweed
 

No comments:

Post a Comment