Monday, July 25, 2011

Then: June 2010 Now: July 25 2011


Our new storm door/picture window

Our wash station
Then: June 2010

June started out the way May ended - cool and wet. JB's son, Chris, actually got to see the mountains though. JB met him in Leavenworth for a bonding and site seeing day. Chris stayed two nights and we had a really good visit. Both he and JB left early Sunday morning for Seattle, in the rain. JB went over for a family gathering in celebration of Chris' and his daughter, Kirsten's, visit. Kirsten had stayed in Seattle to party with her cousins. JB stayed one night and was back Monday afternoon, in the rain.

By mid-month the sun began appearing more often and the mud started to dry out. I built a small, 2' high "fence" on one end of the yard out of "wiggle wood." Dead, gnarly, twisted branches that I had been collecting. Looks pretty good, even though I do say so myself. JB wants a lawn of sorts in our yard, so I raked the area to be planted of the natural compost that is about 2" to 8" deep. I moved it over to where we plan to put a small garden next year. Then JB planted the grass seed. We'll see just how well it does.

One of our projects on the list for this year was a wash station on the north side of the outhouse. JB built that mid-month and then I painted it. We hung a pan on it. Hung a towel on the wall. And put a coffee urn full of water on it, which works better than one of our plastic jugs that so often have the spout break off. Looks pretty good.

On the first day of summer, I was finally able to get my summer clothes out. Something that I usually do around the first of May.

We finally bought a storm door for the side entrance and installed it on June 22. What a difference it makes to be able to have the side door open. It's like a new picture window!

I have been cutting branch wood when it isn't raining. When it is raining, I have been sorting my photographs that are on the computer and saving them on archival discs with the DVD burner Jake gave me for Christmas. Supposedly they will last for more than 300 years.  I certainly hope our great-great-great-great-greatgrandchildren are interested in them.

By the end of the month, it was looking more like summer and the grass was starting to sprout in the yard. Just maybe we will dry out before Fall arrives.

Now: July 24, 2011

We were awakened at 4:30 this morning by a thunder storm.  The fireworks were to the west of us, but we did get a 10 minute downpour.  Another storm just rolled in at 7:00 but with just a few sprinkles and it is quickly moving off to the north.  Supposed to have high winds most of the day and cooler temps.

Yesterday being Sunday, JB took the afternoon off. All morning he had worked on digging the trench for the metal sides of the shop. Once that is done, work should go fairly quickly on putting the sides up and the tar paper on the top. I cut up the big branches I had sawed off the trees on Saturday. It was into the 70's by noon, so really too hot to do anything else outside.  We gave Jesse his much-needed bath, then we both just relaxed inside and did our own things.  I went outside in late afternoon, just in time to see the dogs flush a big flock of wild turkeys just off our west ridge.  Must have been at least a dozen of them.

A few days ago I mentioned JB being able to check out new items in the stores while he was on the other side of the mountains. When I went Down There last Tuesday, I took time to walk down the aisles in Costco. Well, that was a mistake! They just have too many interesting and useful things. And I just had to buy a few of them, like a laminator that I had been wanting. I don't feel too badly about that as I will definitely put it to good use.

Got another RSVP on our August 7th BBQ, so we may have as many as 17 people. We are really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment