Wednesday, September 21, 2011

September 21, 2011


RJ's kitchen

The other side of RJ's kitchen












Decided to take it a bit easy on Monday, so I only cut and stacked two loads of wood. JB was working on our super weed eater, an older model that RJ had given us. He hadn't be able to find the right reel of wire for it, so he just bought the wire and wound it himself. He went to put gas in it and see how it worked, only to watch the gas pour out the hose that some critter had chewed through. Hopefully the hose will be easier to replace.


After lunch the dogs and I hiked down to our "next door" neighbors who were Up Here camping in their yurt for the week. As I was talking to them, RJ drove up our road leading the delivery truck from the lumber yard. So I hiked back home just in time to help load the trailer and drive it down to RJ's. JB led the delivery truck back out as he had to go Down There for some hardware for the little trailer he is rebuilding. Unfortunately, after he left, we discovered that JB had all the straps in his Jeep so we had nothing with which to hold the lumber in the trailer. RJ suggested duct tape and that's what we used. I'll add that to my list of 100 uses of duct tape. I should have taken a picture.

After unloading at his place, I checked out all the remodeling RJ has done on his cabin, including installing the two cabinets, re-situating his kitchen sink & building shelves above it, and installing his small firebox stove.   Eventually he will put a regular size propane stove where his Coleman stove is now.  Looks so good!

It was a low energy day for me and I ended up going to bed at 7:30 pm. It was just what I needed, 'cause I felt so much better when I got up Tuesday morning. And that's good because it was shopping day Down There. I was able to leave early enough to get back in time to cut a load of fire wood for the wood shed and also split a load. RJ and JB loaded up the trailer when I got back home with RJ's plywood and took it down to his place. He will probably be ready on Thursday for me to go down and help him put the sod on his roof. I will definitely take pictures of that job.

Monday evening when we left for our after dinner walk Dinga was really having problems with her legs, so JB sat on the porch with her while Jesse and I went for the walk.  Tuesday evening she just stayed on her chair and did not even come outside. I think she is finally realizing that she just cannot be as active as she wants to be. We are realizing it too. It really hurts because we are getting closer and closer to a decision.

When Larry and Elsie were up the other night, Larry and JB were talking about homemade hootch. That evolved into Larry talking about his hunting trips and that whenever he and his buddies would go for a two or three day trip, he would take Everclear and Gaterade powder. Upon arriving at camp, he would mix some the powder in the Everclear to drink. All their aches and pains would disappear, plus they replenished their electrolytes!

No comments:

Post a Comment