Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September 7, 2011

Deer path coming down to our driveway.
Most holidays just slip by Up Here as did Labor Day. It was half a day of labor, as I worked on the deck in the morning as I had the day before. I should be able to finish it today. How many times have I written that?!

We did take the afternoon off and hiked down the road to hang a "Posted" sign near our property line. It was about a mile round trip and the perfect day for it. On the way back we heard what sounded like dirt bikes or ATV's down near my brother's cabin. Being a holiday weekend we had heard a lot more activity than normal, but this bothered us as there are a lot of trespassers who ignore the private property signs, especially on nice weekends. So when we got back to Rose Camp we hopped in the jeep and drove down to the cabin. No sign of anyone having been there, but the dogs were so pleased that they got a hike and a ride.

Unfortunately Dinga wasn't doing well with her legs after dinner when it was time for our evening walk. So Jesse and I went by ourselves and had quite a bit of excitement. First there was an ATV with two riders up on our neighbor's property. Then there was a baby bull snake on the south ridge that quickly slithered into the weeds on our approach, completely startling Jesse. As he was recovering from that, he flushed about a dozen grouse near the burn pile. When we got back to the house, he lay down and quickly fell asleep.

Yesterday morning the dogs woke me up at 6:00 instead of 5:00 so I really didn't have a chance to go back to bed. I just stayed up, washed my hair and got ready to go Down There. Leaving so early, I was able to get most of my shopping done before the heat of the day, and actually get home by mid-afternoon. Time for a nap before dinner.

September is the month of berries more than flowers.  The elder berries are ripening to their grey-blue.  The wild currants are bright orange.  Most of the black caps are gone, having been already eaten by the birds and other critters.  But there are miriads of rose hips in a brilliant red.  Not yet ripe, but full of promise. 

I sorted the photos for my mother-in-law's birthday in the evening, somehow ending up with twice as many pictures than would fit into the book. Now I get to chose the ones to use. I have 83 and the book will only hold 40. Oh, goody. I have two days to choose the pictures, label them and assemble this gift.

Dinga was doing a little better yesterday, but she seems to be having a problem with both hind legs now. In fact when she got up from her bed one time, she actually walked on just her front legs for several steps. This situation isn't going to be easy for any of us.

It is getting dark so much earlier nowadays, and the sun is more lazy getting up in the morning.  So am I.  Time to start hibernating.

No comments:

Post a Comment