Monday, October 10, 2011

October 10, 2011


JB's two Bell peppers

More Fall colors

Blogspot seems to be having a problem with spacing, so all my paragraphs are running together.  Hopefully that will be resolved shortly.
I worked all day Sunday, having convinced JB that I would take off today instead, as it is supposed to rain.  I wanted to get as much of the wood cut and in the wood shed before it got wet, so JB used his large chain saw to cut several of the bigger logs into rounds - about four loads for the splitter.  Then I cut two loads for the wood shed and one for the splitter.  After stacking the two loads in the shed, I split and stacked the other five loads.  We got a late start as RJ was up for breakfast.  He got a late start because he over slept.  We tried a different breakfast menju - gravy and biscuits.  One of JB's favorites, but we had never cooked it before.  We used Italian sausage and the gravy turned out quite delicious.  So did the biscuits that JB made from a gluten free Bisquick mix he found last time he was Down There.  A little pricey, but good.
RJ was feeling much better than he had anticipated with having his teeth pulled.  He has been working on his outhouse and should have it finished today, except for the insulation and outside walls.  He's building it from the inside out.  Fortunately none of the sod and dirt he put on his roof washed off or even moved during all the rain last week.
After slicing the logs into rounds, JB started work on the door to his shop.  But because he got such a late start, he was just able to install the top piece of wood that hangs from the rollers.  He had to quit early, too, in order to start dinner.  He found a really yummy sounding recipe for sausage and bean dutch oven stew that has to cook for a while.  It tasted as good as it sounded.
JB discovered our first (and hopefully only) leak in the shop last Wednesday when we had the pouring rain.  We did not seal where the deck meets the metal sides, so water was dripping down around the inside edges.  The metal edging is screwed in tightly against the tar papered wood, so I can't imagine how water is getting through, but on the next nice day we will caulk all around where they meet.
When we were finished working on Saturday, I put a chair out on the deck and just sat.  And vegged.  And enjoyed the magnificent view.  Jesse even came out to join me for a while.  He is so proud of himself and his new-found daring do.
JB finally harvested his two bell peppers on Saturday.  They look more like jalepenos than bells, but that is as big as they were going to get.  As I said before, we had a very short growing season this year.  We would like to build a small green house of some sort and that may be our main project for next year.  Still haven't decided if we are going to get the chickens or not.
My muse and I have not become completely coordinated.  She is a night entity, as opposed to me who likes to sleep whe it's dark.  So I always have a pencil and a pad of paper on my night stand.  If I don't write down her ideas, she will not remind me of them in the morning.  JB has almost learned to sleep through my turning on the light at all hours and writing.
Thought for the day:  I may have my faults, but being wrong isn't one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment