Sunday, October 30, 2011

October 30, 2011

One of my favorite cloud photos

I spent most of Friday Down There. A long day with several errands and two long grocery stops. Grocery loads will be much larger for the next month, as I stock up for winter. Felt like all I was doing was getting in and out of the car. I think I walked 10 miles in Costco. By the time I arrived back at Rose Camp, it was time for a nap. The best part of the day was driving down and back up our four mile dirt road with all the Fall brilliance against the backdrop of the evergreens.


Saturday was an OMG day. Blue sky, temperatures in the low 40's. Too warm to wear more than a light jacket. Doesn't take long to get used to the cold Autumn days.

I had just brought in a load of large branch wood, when we heard a loud noise in the area of the wood shed. The dogs weren't barking, but they did look startled. Seems everything I wrote about taking wood stacking seriously may not have sunk in. The top of the last row of wood in the wood shed tumbled down. Actually I think what happened is that the weight of the wood may have pushed the pallet it was stacked on down into the ground at a bit of an  angle. So I re-stacked the wood, making sure that it angled slightly backwards into the stack behind it. I also sorted out a lot of large branch wood from the little kindling size and stacked it as the front row of the small wood that runs along the east side of the shed. Will probably do things a lot differently next year. We use the large branch wood and oddly shaped split wood first while it is not so cold or snowy.

Since RJ and Mike were expected Saturday afternoon, it was our a take-it-easy day, instead of Sunday.  I baked RJ's and JB's gluten free birthday cake from our favorite mix - Namaste's Spice Cake. It is probably the best cake I have ever tasted, even though I am more of a chocolate fan. It's a little pricey (as most gluten-free mixes are) but definitely worth it.

RJ and Mike arrived a little before dinner was ready.  I made everyone's favorite - Ham, apple, macaroni bake.  It has a sweet mustard sauce and is sooo good.  Birthday cake and ice cream for dessert, gifts were exchanged, then the boys played Magic cards while I dog sat.  Since it was so cold out after the sun went down, we let Mikes' dog, Mindy, inside for the first time.  It went quite well as long as there was a referee.  Jesse soon climbed up in his bed on the loveseat and kept one eye open on the girls.  Mindy rumaged around in the "toy" basket which really upset Dinga.  Finally I put the two balls and one braided chew toy up so they couldn't fight over them.  (Sound like I'm writing about two little kids.)  What was left in the basket was about 20 bones.  Mindy took about half of them out, one by one, and Dinga quickly rounded up her favorites.  They both finally settled down, each with a chosen bone.  Dinga on the floor and Mindy in my lap.

We all enjoyed the evening, but when it was time for RJ and Mike to leave it was hard to say goodbye.  We won't see Mike til the end of next June and by then he will probably be six inches taller and look two years older.  RJ will be back up at the end of the week for ten days or so, depending upon the weather.  And that will be his last trip Up Here until Spring.

Thought for the day: Youth is not a time of life.  It is a state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment