Friday, October 28, 2011

October 28, 2011


Dogs playing (summer 2010)


September 2010
 
Wednesday night was definitely an ibuprofen night.  The temperature only got up to 34 and really got down into my arthritic bones.  After morning chores and lunch, we were outside cutting wood for about an hour.  The logs we dragged up on Tuesday are good sized and most of the rounds need splitting.  We had one wheel barrow load for the wood shed and a very large pile for the splitter.  I split and stacked two loads.  Those three loads filled the wood shed, so I now I can start stacking wood on the porch.
One of JB's morning chores was to cut up celery to be dried.  We are experimenting by drying it in the oven with just the pilot light for about 24 hours.  The green peppers turned out great and are vacuum sealed in a jar.  Right now I think dehydrating will be better for vegetables than canning.
We saw a mouse in the shop that was at death's door after eating the poison.  I felt so sorry for it.  I wish we could co-exist with the animals without having to kill them.  That's my City Mind again.  Since we have eradicated many of their natural enemies, it's now up to us to control their numbers.  And I'm not just talking about mice, obviously.  The whole situation with wolves and bears vs. farmers and ranchers will never be resolved.  Nature was so balanced until  Industrialized Man came along.  I realize that just life on our planet.  Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Today is my Brother's birthday and I am going Down There for shopping and a birthday treat for him.  He's not a fan of cakes, so not sure what I will get.  RJ and Mike will arrive Up Here at their cabin this evening, then tomorrow afternoon they will come up to Rose Camp to play Magic cards and have dinner.  Will probably be up for breakfast on Sunday, too.  JB's birthday is on November 1, so it will be a combined birthday celebration as we have done so often in the past.

Larry and Elsie came up for a visit Wednesday evening.  They were out for a ride and taking down the ropes they put up across our roads for hunting season.  We'll keep the ropes up here as JB wants to erect permanent posts to hang them on each year.  Larry offered to loan us one of his little chain saws, so JB doesn't have to cut everything with his big one.  (We had decided to wait until Spring to purchase a new, light saw for me.)  May just take him up on that.  We also got to talking about our power problem and Larry asked if JB had tightened the battery cables lately.  Ooops.  Someone left that out of our Off The Grid Survival book.  Seems it has to be done about twice a year to as they tend to loosen up with the hot and cold weather.  So that was JB's first chore of the day on Thursday, and it looks like that may have taken care of the problem.

After lunch we cut wood for about an hour, getting the first load of wood for the porch and another big stack for the splitter.  JB was having a low energy day, so he took a nap while I cut four wheel barrow loads of wood.  Got a nice start on our porch wood.  We figure his energy problem has to do with the fact that he needs a big, protein loaded breakfast each day.  May have something to do with his Celiacs disease.

JB's celery that we put in the oven on Wednesday turned out great, even dried the leaves.  Had them in the oven for about 30 hours with just the pilot light on.  And they are very pungent.

I finished Aunt Nene's Christmas present, finally.  I will post a photo of it after the holidays as I am really pleased with the way it turned out.  Elsie and I were discussing crafts and she is going to show me a wreath her Mother made out of pine cones and hot glue.  Lord knows I have enough pine cones, and I have always admired those wreaths.  Can't believe I didn't think of making them before this.

Thought for the day:  I'm so busy I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse!

No comments:

Post a Comment