Monday, October 31, 2011

October 31, 2011


An Autumn walk- Rose and Dinga

An Autumn walk - JB and Jesse

Clouds blew over all day on Sunday with the threat of rain that never materialized.  Not much sun, but it did get up to 46.  Our big breakfast was really a brunch, so we made it outside about noon to start dragging logs up to be cut.  The ones we were after were a little further from the road so we had to carry and/or drag them down a bit as the standing trees are more dense there.  JB cut the larger ones in two, and we managed to get a nice pile in just a couple hours.  We could hear RJ and Mike getting in as much target practice as possible before they had to leave mid afternoon. 
Larry and Elsie drove up with their small chain saw for us to use.  And also a round of cedar from some power poles they were able to get for free.  Seems the telephone and power companies give the poles away when they have to replace them.  All you have to do is go pick them up.  We will definitely conside that option next year.
I had to toss the four pounds of rose hips I picked and hadn't used.  Will have to go pick more when I have a chance so I can get the jam made.  I froze the puree I made.  I was wondering why I'm so unorganized this year, then happened to glance through my blog for last September and read that we started stacking on the porch the last week in September, and here it is the last week in October when we did that this year.  No wonder I'm so tired.  We weren't working this hard at this time last year!
And speaking of working hard, since I no longer have a dishwasher I have had to find the best cloths, scrubbers and scrapers for doing the dishes by hand.  The standard dish cloths just weren't cutting it.  I tried some micro fiber ones and with their rough exterior, they make cleaning much easier.  My Mother-in-law had been crocheting scrubbies out of netting for years, and those are wonderful.  I just hadn't had to use them as often in the past.  She can't do it any more because she hurt her hands and wrists in a fall a couple years ago, but she did send me the directions along with her supply of netting.  It may be a while before I can find time to make them, but I would like to.  Another item I finally found is a little plastic disc for scraping baked on food.  My supply was down to one.  So I think I'm set for cleaning the dishes by hand.
Of course, since it is Halloween, I had to stock up on candy when I went Down There last week.  You just never know how many trick-or-treaters you'll get and I have to be prepared. . .
We are still having some problems with our water pumps, so JB is going to make some calls tomorrow and see if he can figure out what is wrong.  The pump is still indicating a power problem when we use it for a long time, like two back to back showers, and yet there is still plenty of juice in the batteries.  Just one of the situations unique to our life Up Here.
The current issue of BackHome magazine has an article entitled, "Grandma loved Heavy Metal", which deals with seasoning cast iron pots and pans.  JB tried it on our smallest pan and the results were perfect.  It recommends shortening instead of oil and seasoning it in the oven several times.   
Forgot to mention that the dogs and I went for a hike Saturday afternoon.  I never cease to be awed by the magnificent beauty and variety of the surrounding landscape.  From the Cascade Mountains that slope down to the Columbia River and on up to the Columbia Plateau, it just doesn't get any better than this.  The river seems to be the dividing line between the forested mountains and the bare plateau.  The trees gradually thin out on the west side and are almost completely absent on the east side.  Two completely different geographical formations.  The geologic history of this area is fascinating from volcanic action to the breaking of a colossal ice dam during the end of the last glacial age and a flood that entirely covered what is now Eastern Washington.  Then the creation of falls several times larger than Niagara.  The land is all dry now with the Columbia River and various lakes being the last remnants of the flood.  Indian tribes on the west side of the mountains remember that flood in their lore.
Thought for the day: If all the beasts were gone, man would die from loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beast, happens to man.  All things are connected.  Whatever befalls the earth, befalls the sons of earth.
                                                                              Chief Seattle

No comments:

Post a Comment